It begins! '90 KDX200 rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: It begins! '90 KDX200 rebuild

Post by 6 Riders »

Friedom wrote:Exactly. If a powder coat frame gets chipped, you lose some rust protection, and can't fix it.
Anyways, I'm just being antagonistic.
What's the cfm on your air comp? I'm gearing up for some soda blasting.
If your doing a clear coat, just use clear paint. All powder coating is, is powdered paint sprayed on and then baked for a hardness, it's actually used on a lot more stuff than you realize, like your bike frame, swing arm, side stand, car....etc etc....It's easier to apply than paint and lays smoother, that is why so many people do it (compared to painting). Paint is made hard by activators. You have the same problem either way, you can't just "touch it up" because the paint won't have enough (or to much) activator, making it look like ****. You can use the same touch up paint to fix powder coat, even tape and spray if you like.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Friedom wrote:Exactly. If a powder coat frame gets chipped, you lose some rust protection, and can't fix it.
It's all good! :supz:

My compressor is just a cheap Craftsman unit I bought about 15 years ago. It does (IIRC) 2.5cfm @ 125psi. That is about the bare minimum to work with soda. The more psi and cfm you can use with soda the better it works!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

SS109 wrote:
It's all good! :supz:

My compressor is just a cheap Craftsman unit I bought about 15 years ago. It does (IIRC) 2.5cfm @ 125psi. That is about the bare minimum to work with soda. The more psi and cfm you can use with soda the better it works!
Wow, that was enough for your blasting? That's hopeful for me. I got the same blaster from HF that you listed (why reinvent the wheel? ), and it says 7cfm at 90psi. That's actually quite a bit for compressors sold these days. I guess you can run intermittent so it can charge up. I'm doing the Craigslist dance looking for a good used setup, though :)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, I would run it for like 20 seconds and then let it pump back up. One thing I would do, if you can find one, is put a smaller nozzle on that blaster. If not, you lose some valuable pressure and the soda will pour out of it when your not blasting if tipped downward. Yeah, I did it with just the stock tip but I wasted more than I should have because of it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

SS109 wrote:Yeah, I would run it for like 20 seconds and then let it pump back up. One thing I would do, if you can find one, is put a smaller nozzle on that blaster. If not, you lose some valuable pressure and the soda will pour out of it when your not blasting if tipped downward. Yeah, I did it with just the stock tip but I wasted more than I should have because of it.
Huh. Good to know. Maybe I'll try a different blaster, like one that'll suck out of a 5 gal bucket. We'll see, it's not rocket science.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

6 Riders wrote:
Friedom wrote:Your history said it was $40, which seems really great. How do you protect them - leave a screw in? :hmm:
Are you planning on painting it? Consider having a clear powder over a bare frame...should look awesome...wish that's the way I went, but I didn't see the frame sandblasted until the color had been ordered.
I talked to a local powder coater today, and he said if you just clear powder coat a blasted frame, it'll have a pinkish brown tint to it and not look all that good. He said there's a sandblasted metal "color" PC available though.

Was quoted 3-350 to prep, blast and powder coat the frame. That seem about right?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Friedom wrote:Was quoted 3-350 to prep, blast and powder coat the frame. That seem about right?
Sounds a little high but not too bad.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I couldn't tell from your build thread - did you pc yours or just paint it?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I just painted mine. By the time I got to that stage the budget was pretty much on empty so pc wasn't an option.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

SS109 wrote:I just painted mine. By the time I got to that stage the budget was pretty much on empty so pc wasn't an option.
I'm starting to see that..
Hoping to get the cases split and crank shipped in the next few days. I don't mean to be hijacking your build thread, it's just really handy that you live nearby and have answers to a lot of the same questions figured out.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Hey SS109, I didn't see it in your build, did you have the cylinder re coated?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yes, I did. It was done by US Chrome. While the work was OK their piss poor attitude caused me to vow to never deal with them again.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

SS109 wrote:Yes, I did. It was done by US Chrome. While the work was OK their piss poor attitude caused me to vow to never deal with them again.
Well gee, I appreciate your honesty.

It's funny how a little customer service can go a long way. I talked to the powder coat guy on the phone, and while his price is a little more than I was hoping, I kind of want to do it anyways just to work with him and see it done right. I was that impressed with our conversation and felt enriched and informed before even hiring his services.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Millennium Technologies for plating......Check with a couple other powder coaters before going to the first guy.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

6 Riders wrote:Millennium Technologies for plating......Check with a couple other powder coaters before going to the first guy.
Well, I talked to MT. I'm going to ship my motor to them so it can all be done in one house - rebuild bottom end, new top end, port and polish, check everything, clean everything, clearance everything, assemble everything.
I had the fun of pulling it all apart, but time is limited, and I can have a guaranteed warrantied product put together with experienced hands and proper tools.
That just leaves me the rest of the bike to clean up and reassemble! (Plenty of work to do!
wolf400

Post by wolf400 »

I have been looking everywhere! Where do you get he white tank and panels? Would be a good help
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

wolf400 wrote:I have been looking everywhere! Where do you get he white tank and panels? Would be a good help
That was a one year color option along with the green in 1990. So your best bet would be to check ebay or a cycle breaker. I know people on here looking for the white have a real struggle finding the stuff.