It begins! '90 KDX200 rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: It begins! '90 KDX200 rebuild

Post by Friedom »

Hey SS109, what tools did you use to split your case?
I did read through all 14 pages of this thread, but I've been in the engine bay too long and don't remember. It looks like I'll be splitting mine, and since you're local o thought you could point me in the right direction for what to use/where to get?

I would have PM'd you, but haven't figured out how yet.

Thanks

Edit: I see on page 8 that you got a splitter, holder and flywheel tool. Cool. Any more thoughts on them before I buy some and add to the collection of one time use?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Buy the Tusk brand from RMATV. They're the cheapest you'll find. Or, you can make your own splitter as it isn't hard.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Thanks. Who did your frame sandblasting? I've got almost everything off it, and it looks awful, so I might as well.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Friedom wrote:Thanks. Who did your frame sandblasting? I've got almost everything off it, and it looks awful, so I might as well.
Local shop. I can't remember what I paid but it wasn't as cheap as I thought it would be. Just make sure to protect all threaded inserts and the VIN number.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Your history said it was $40, which seems really great. How do you protect them - leave a screw in? :hmm:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Friedom wrote:Your history said it was $40, which seems really great. How do you protect them - leave a screw in? :hmm:
Are you planning on painting it? Consider having a clear powder over a bare frame...should look awesome...wish that's the way I went, but I didn't see the frame sandblasted until the color had been ordered.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

6 Riders wrote:
Friedom wrote:Your history said it was $40, which seems really great. How do you protect them - leave a screw in? :hmm:
Are you planning on painting it? Consider having a clear powder over a bare frame...should look awesome...wish that's the way I went, but I didn't see the frame sandblasted until the color had been ordered.
I have my reservations about powder coating. It seems that it's not good for applications where things get bolted on/connected/tightened down, for the simple reason that it'll crumple and there's no way to touch up pc.
Unless you know something I don't(which seems very likely)?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Well mine didn't crinkle, didn't have to tap holes out, nothing....Image

And then I took it out and did this to it

The paint does rub off the frame on the left side, just like regular paint, so it needs to be protected their.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

6 Riders wrote:Well mine didn't crinkle, didn't have to tap holes out, nothing....Image

And then I took it out and did this to it

The paint does rub off the frame on the left side, just like regular paint, so it needs to be protected their.
Maybe my reference (roof rack)just wasn't prepped right before the pc. Clear would be really cool, and I'm looking for ideas, so I might go for that. Thanks!

Know any good shops around that can do it?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Friedom wrote: Know any good shops around that can do it?
Where are you located?
I can tell you I had; Frame, swing arm, both hubs, both rims & side stand mount done for $250, using 2 different colors, no clear.
If I were to do it again; I'd polish the swing arm (remove original PC) and have that and the frame cleared and do the hubs in black and the rims would stay gold.....The wheels look BAD A$$ in gold/black/gold, but I think Black/black/gold would look a little better.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Here's the wheels using #8 spokes. The spokes & nipples are all new and we coated them, so there are different color options available.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

6 Riders wrote:Here's the wheels using #8 spokes. The spokes & nipples are all new and we coated them, so there are different color options available.
That's pretty cool. I'm in Tucson, but I can shop around, just looking for local suggestions. I think I'm only interesting in painting the frame. The Swingarm looks fine already, and hubs are going to likely get beat up, by tire irons if nothing else.
How do you protect the areas that need protecting, like holes, races, vin, etc?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I just dropped it off, the only thing I did was left the steering head races in (just in case). He plugged & taped everything. He did good work. The hubs don't get beat, the rims might, but I use Stubby tire tools, so that takes care of the rims. I did the swing arm for the color....On my 93 I simply removed the factory powder and shined it up.....It actually looks really good (better than paint).
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Powder coating works way better than paint. Just find some frame guards or use something else to protect where your boots rub. I'll try to find the info on the place that sandblasted my frame. BTW, they go over with you what you don't want blasted or needs to be protected and they take care of it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Thanks.
How clean do parts need to be to drop get sand blasted?
Omw to get a HF soda blaster. I can use it to clean the pizza stones, so the missus won't mind :)
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

My issue with powder coat is that it can't be touched up, to my knowledge.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Friedom wrote:My issue with powder coat is that it can't be touched up, to my knowledge.
That may be correct, I don't know, but who is really going to be touching up the paint on their frame? It's a dirt bike!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

SS109 wrote:
Friedom wrote:My issue with powder coat is that it can't be touched up, to my knowledge.
That may be correct, I don't know, but who is really going to be touching up the paint on their frame? It's a dirt bike!
On one hand, yes. On the other hand, look at your bike. Obviously you care that it looks good :]
And why bother with frame guards then?
Meh. Maybe I'm just stewing over a bad application on my roof rack still. I want to do the clear PC, I think it's a great idea. Just hoping someone will come in and school me on how powder coat really is.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, I like my bike to look good but I'm not going to go overboard with it. I have some friends like that. Way too much time pampering and polishing their bikes instead of actually riding them! To me, frame guards are not for looks per se but to help keep my boots from wearing through the paint/powdercoat and letting the frame begin to rust. Nothing more.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Exactly. If a powder coat frame gets chipped, you lose some rust protection, and can't fix it.
Anyways, I'm just being antagonistic.
What's the cfm on your air comp? I'm gearing up for some soda blasting.