Brake pads - what'cha runnin?

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Brake pads - what'cha runnin?

Post by SS109 »

Curious as to what brake pads everyone is running and/or recommend? Also, what kind of life are you getting out of them in the conditions you ride in?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

tusk carbon.
tried sintered, they do last a bit longer in mud.
I found that replacing the pins made a huge difference, I use to burn pad in less than 30 miles in the mud, thought it was cuz my rotor was a bit grooved (still in specs though) but it was the pins, they looked ok but after replacing them no more problem.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Stock front and rear. Mine had EBC on the front and they would over heat in the first half hour of the ride and be useless for the rest of the day. I went back to oem and now the work great. I have about 8-900 miles on them now and they still look just about new. I tend to ride a lot of hills with every thing from sand, rocks, mud ,water,etc.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I guess I forgot to mention what I run. Oops! :blink: I'm running factory pads as well. I haven't had to replace them since put them on and they have over half the pad left. Lots of sand and silt riding with lots of steep up/down hills.

The reason I asked is I was thinking about blinging my bike up a bit with some of the Tusk wave style rotors and figured, if I do, I should probably put new pads on them.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:tusk carbon.
tried sintered, they do last a bit longer in mud.
I found that replacing the pins made a huge difference, I use to burn pad in less than 30 miles in the mud, thought it was cuz my rotor was a bit grooved (still in specs though) but it was the pins, they looked ok but after replacing them no more problem.
+1. Haven't replaced pins though. I have gotten several months out of my last set and they still have lots of life.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Brake pads - what'cha runnin?

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Curious as to what brake pads everyone is running and/or recommend? Also, what kind of life are you getting out of them in the conditions you ride in?
EBC Sintered, front and rear with solid rotors. Last time I had to replace pads I was 10 pounds leaner and had a bunch of hair in extra on the head.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Brake pads - what'cha runnin?

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
kdxquebec wrote:>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Curious as to what brake pads everyone is running and/or recommend? Also, what kind of life are you getting out of them in the conditions you ride in?
EBC Sintered, front and rear with solid rotors. Last time I had to replace pads I was 10 pounds leaner and had a bunch of hair in extra on the head.

Awesome
gregp

Post by gregp »

EBC carbon pads on the front, EBC sintered pads on the rear. I have been using this combination for years on every dirt bike I have owned, but the inexpensive Tusk pads are next on my purchase list...I will probably use carbon in the front and sintered on the rear, just like always.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I usually buy OEM pads

Last time I changed them was 3 years ago
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've had better luck with OEM, both on the hybrid and the KDX.

Had I known how expensive those rotors are I would have taken better care.........
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy