A question about greasing wheel bearings.

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

A question about greasing wheel bearings.

Post by Fatherof2 »

Guys,

I want to grease the wheel bearings on the KDX. The bike has 16 miles on it, so I know the bearings are good. I just want to add more grease. Can I just pull the dust seals, and work some grease in there? Do I have to pull the bearings to do the job properly?

Thanks for any advice,

David
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

remove dust seal, then very carefully remove the grease seal off the bearing, I usually use a small tip screwdriver (not sharp) to pull it off, clean the factory grease and re apply bell ray.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I usually carefully remove the seals from new bearings and put more grease in there. I have a needle that goes on my grease gun that makes it easy.

On already installed bearings that needle would come in very handy. Getting the seal back on the bearing down in that pocket might be tricky.

I usually fill the space between the bearing and the dust seal with grease and put a layer on the axle - all in an effort to keep water out and rust from setting in.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I usually fill the space between the bearing and the dust seal with grease and put a layer on the axle - all in an effort to keep water out and rust from setting in.
+1