Advice on some mods and keeping the KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Advice on some mods and keeping the KDX

Post by Rod Smith »

Looking for some advice here. I have a KDX220 that has been RB’d, KX front end, IMS tank, FMF pipe, etc. I am thinking of adding a Rev loc , Hydraulic clutch and a GPR stabilizer. I am looking at putting about another 1000 in it doing that and some other stuff. I love the bike and don’t race it and just play ride and not as much of that lately. I know I will never recoup the money from it too but no big deal I guess. My wife was going to buy me a brand new KTM300XCW for my 56th birthday but I told her thanks because it is waste of machinery at this point. My older boys went Orange years ago leaving only my youngest still on a KX85. Be nice the KTM's are great bikes too. So my questions are: is the rev loc worth it, the GPR worth it, and the Magura hydraulic clutch worth it?

Of course my boys want me to upgrade to new technology and get the KTM300 but not sure that is what I want to ride in Colorado or for a good trail ride. I want to keep the old comfy KDX and it has never let me down. I know we all have the urge to get a new bike at times but I am not sure I want to part with the KDX either. Just kind of want an opinion on the mods.

Thanks
2000 KDX 220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The KTM300 is an excellent trail bike. I'm with you though on not wanting to give up my uber comfy KDX.

I don't honestly know if the hydro clutch is worth the expense, especially if you are adding an auto clutch. I would honestly do one or the other there, not both. If you put in a dyna ring you probably wont' be clutching enough anymore to justify the cost of the magura hydraulic. If you opt out of the auto clutch, the hydraulic kit would be nice.

The stabilizer is def a nice addition, and well worth it IMO. You could look at WER as a slightly cheaper alternative to the GPR. I like my WER damper pretty good.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have a Scotts stabilizer.... I wouldn't ride without it now. It takes hits for you that you do not have to correct for. Saves your hands and arms from fatique and also prevents you from bouncing into trees or rocks saving your butt from the hospital. Definately get the stabilizer.... it will pay for itself the very fist time it takes that hit for you.

Get the Auto-clutch. No real reason to deal with a hydraulic lever when the auto-clutch will do it with no pull required. The Revloc is definately the way to go.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The 300XCW is an awesome bike but, if you already have a bike you love and don't race all hardcore, why spend the money?

The steering damper is an absolute must IMO. Just picked up a WER for mine and love it. The hydraulic clutch is just not worth it whether you go auto-clutch or not IMO. The KDX clutch pull is already pretty easy. If it isn't then the clutch basket needs replaced and/or the cable is binding or needs replaced. The auto-clutch will save your butt in so many varied situations it will amaze you. Plus, it just makes everything easier. I have heard several people refer to it as like your cheating. They really do make that much of a difference!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R