Does replacing the front sprocket make much of a difference?

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Does replacing the front sprocket make much of a difference?

Post by Fatherof2 »

Hi Gang,

I was thinking of changing my front sprocket for one with one less tooth to improve the low end. Would the difference be noticeable? If so, can anyone suggest a good place to order one?

Thank you,

D.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yep, the difference is noticeable.

Everyone that sells bike parts sells them. Have you got a favorite? I like motorcycle superstore, rocky mountain atv, and service honda. Cheap cycle and bike bandit are usually ok as well.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

Replacing the front sprocket with a new one having one tooth less will make a noticeable difference. I buy a lot of parts from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

I don't like to go smaller than 13 teeth on front sprockets. I'd rather go larger on the rear sprocket and buy a new chain if necessary. I don't want the chain to make as sharp a bend as it has to make with small front sprockets and I don't want the chain that close to the swingarm.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
gregp

Post by gregp »

This is a common modification to the KDX 200/220 series, and it works very well. To me, the most noticable improvement is that it tightens up the gear ratio gaps, and the motor pulls seamlessly from one gear to the next. If you ride in tight woods trails, you will like this mod.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Thanks very much guys!
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Usually any shop around here has them in stock. It's a pretty common sprocket. I think they use them on some yz's
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS