Powerband?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:Was it cold outside? Cold air = more o2= more power. Once the bikes engine reaches operating temp, the engine should be LESS ABRUPT. I don't think it oil/ gas separation, unless you use a Castor Based Premix.

I checked the KIPS on my bike today and they all move easily. It was about 65 degrees outside when I rode it, I let it warm up first of course. The powerband mellowed out after I took it offroad. I'm starting to think it's a jetting issue, but correct me if I'm wrong. It had a pretty bad/dirty air filter and the stock pipe and silencer when I got it and have changed them out with a new UNI filter and FMF full exhaust
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

People also mistake lack of power for wheelspin.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I wasn't spinning the wheel though. There was definitely a noticeable power difference when I rode it, I don't know what's up. Maybe I was just running a little lean at the moment and need to re-jet it.
gregp

Post by gregp »

>|<>QBB<
KDXrider1989 wrote:

I checked the KIPS on my bike today and they all move easily. It was about 65 degrees outside when I rode it, I let it warm up first of course. The powerband mellowed out after I took it offroad. I'm starting to think it's a jetting issue, but correct me if I'm wrong. It had a pretty bad/dirty air filter and the stock pipe and silencer when I got it and have changed them out with a new UNI filter and FMF full exhaust
Hmm. Now we might be getting somewhere... You are probably jetted very rich - when the engine is cold, it wants that rich mixture, and it may run great. When the engine warms up, though, it will run very sluggish.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

What jetting would you suggest? The UNI air filter and FMF exhaust are the only performance mods on the bike that I know of, maybe a Wiseco piston. I never bothered looking at my current jetting ever since I got the bike, also I plan on getting Power Reeds soon
gregp

Post by gregp »

Suggesting jetting can be a slippery slope, but I think that this might get you close -
Summer: Main jet 155, Pilot jet 42
Winter : Main jet 160, Pilot jet 45
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:Suggesting jetting can be a slippery slope, but I think that this might get you close -
Looks pretty fat unless you are riding sea level at the sand dunes
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

FAT is safe though....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:Suggesting jetting can be a slippery slope, but I think that this might get you close -
Thats about where I'm at and I ride between 1000-3000 ft. Jetting can be a pain in the a$$ so haveing a good starting point helps.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<

I'm pretty close to sea level here in Southeastern Texas, so I guess I'll try this
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

People also mistake lack of power for wheelspin
LOL. I was guilty of that over the weekend w/ a snowmobile. Spent all day on clutch, took it out. "****, it's slipping some on the big end" Then I hit a section of packed snow, and it stood up 3', and almost threw me off the back...LOL. Once back in fresh snow I looked behind me, and noticed the 50+' rooster tail. :mrgreen: :partyman:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I finally got the chance to check out my carb jetting last weekend and found out I have a 152 main and a 48 pilot. I don't think I previously stated this, but the bike currently has a full FMF exhaust, UNI air filter, and I plan on getting 607's soon. Would the main and pilot jets and needle position/taper be the only things in the carb I would have to switch?
gregp

Post by gregp »

Pretty much, yes. Unless you air screw is way off. This screw is located on the left hand side of the cab, behind the slide, right where the air box boot attaches to the carb. It should be 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 turns out from fully closed.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
gregp

Post by gregp »

Your jetting definately does not look rich, though. It sounds like you may have to start digging in to things a bit. You may have severe carbon build up in the power valve/exhaust port area, or even need a top end, but your symptoms are a bit mysterious. Is Fuel flowing to the carb Ok? Tank vent clear?
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I checked out Inda's jetting guide and he said to raise the idle a bit and turn out the air screw until it's at its fastest idle. He said I'd be good if I'm in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 range like you said, but I'm at 3 1/2 to 4. I'm at 175 psi in the top end which is very good, power valves move in and out pretty good but I might reconsider cleaning things up a bit, fuel flows good, tank vent is clear, I never foul plugs, in fact the plug barely has any residue on it when I take it out. It feels very flat from upper mid-range to top end. I bought the bike when it had an old, dirty air filter and the stock exhaust and have since then replaced them, which leads me to believe that my current jetting is a bit lean
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

also it doesn't smell like a properly-tuned 2 stroke
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

i really doubt its the fuel, 2-stroke mixes very well in petrol and the second its mixed it never seperates. id imagine the problem is probably carb flooding/splash
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
moto_psycho wrote:i really doubt its the fuel, 2-stroke mixes very well in petrol and the second its mixed it never seperates. id imagine the problem is probably carb flooding/splash
Do what? Your information is not correct. 2 stroke oil, especially castor based oils, are quite prone to separation. Not saying I think fuel is at fault in this case... just saying.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

>|<>QBB<
KDXrider1989 wrote:I checked out Inda's jetting guide and he said to raise the idle a bit and turn out the air screw until it's at its fastest idle. He said I'd be good if I'm in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 range like you said, but I'm at 3 1/2 to 4. I'm at 175 psi in the top end which is very good, power valves move in and out pretty good but I might reconsider cleaning things up a bit, fuel flows good, tank vent is clear, I never foul plugs, in fact the plug barely has any residue on it when I take it out. It feels very flat from upper mid-range to top end. I bought the bike when it had an old, dirty air filter and the stock exhaust and have since then replaced them, which leads me to believe that my current jetting is a bit lean
That's a lot of "out" on the air screw. Try a leaner pilot jet.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agreed. At 3.5 - 4 turns you are probably a couple sizes to large on the pilot. If the pilot is that rich, it is likely that the main is as well. Follow the rest of the jetting guide.