Cut some trail yesterday

Got questions? We got answers....
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Cut some trail yesterday

Post by ihatefalling »

In addition to woods, I ride a lot of dual sport. I've got a big DS loop I run from the house. On the way home I pass 200 acres that I have access to but have never done anything with.

I've always wanted a loop through there s after a day of DS, I can pull into this 200 and do a quaick loop.....to ice teh cake.

So yesterday I spent the day in the woods starting trail. I didn't make a lot of distance, but I went ahead and got the hard stuff out of the way. The rest should go a lot faster.

Anyway....a few pics. SHould have taken more. I'll post more later...

2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
gregp

Post by gregp »

Neat pics. I am jealous. Here in MA, we have so much snow that my KDX will most likely not be going anywhere until we get a good solid week of thawing temps. I tried to ride last week, before the last 6" or so of snow fell. Even with my Tapcon tire I was only able to go about 30 yards before I just gave up and turned around.
Ugh. This is definately one of the snowiest winters in recent memory.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Looks like fun, good stuff.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Looks like good woods - not so much underbrush as around here.

We usually use index cards stapled to trees to mark the trail and just a machete to cut. If the tree is too big for a machete, go around. We've gotten bogged down trying to make trail too nice and flowing. It'll correct itself with use.

Cutting trail is a lot of fun and great exercise! Too few people do it, and are quick to bitch about the lack of places to ride.

Google Earth is helpful...
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Man you're right its good exercise. I went out Sat and Sun to cut and I am whooped feeling today :cool:

Everything is going pretty well laying it out except I've hit a snag at the tail end. I'd really like to take a trial down the side of that creek, but it gets too steep off camber. I'd like to take the trail straight up the creek but those rocks are toooo slick and there are a few pretty high shelfs.

So I'm forced to take a hill up from the creek where and old road had been cut. The problem is this land hasn't been used in 20 years?? so that old road is all grown over.

I had been using loppers and a folding saw but, I'm gunna have to haul a chainsaw in there next time. Pain the arse but I'll be ab;e to clear that last hill in 30 minutes with a chainsaw.

One thing I have to consider is some of my DS guys will come through here from time to time so I have to make it tame enough so that some 650s can make it through......but barely :twisted:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

>|<>QBB<
ihatefalling wrote:One thing I have to consider is some of my DS guys will come through here from time to time so I have to make it tame enough so that some 650s can make it through......but barely :twisted:
Just make sure they really have to work at it. :wink: You don't want to get anybody thinking, "My KLR can make it anywhere that KDX can go."
Keep It Simple Stupid
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Heh heh....don't worry about that my brother. Those dudes will be two beats away from a heart attack by the time I get through with them :twisted: :cool:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

The best part about cutting trails is...

In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Cut some trail yesterday

Post by kdxquebec »

:supz:

>|<>QBB<
ihatefalling wrote: Anyway....a few pics. SHould have taken more. I'll post more later...
We still wait :pop:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.