What needs greasing besides the swingarm?

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

What needs greasing besides the swingarm?

Post by Fatherof2 »

I heard that there are 3 main areas that need re-greasing almost as soon as a KDX rolls off the assembly line. I think one is the swingarm bearings, but can someone tell me the other main areas that I should check and re-grease?

Thanks very much,

D.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Swingarm bearings, linkage bearings, & steering stem bearings are the main 3.

Basically I disassemble my bikes every winter and inspect/replace (as needed)/re-grease the following; swingarm bearings, swingarm bolt, linkage bearings, linkage bolts, shock bolts, steering stem bearings, steering stem, axles, wheel bearings, caliper bolts, caliper pins, check all spokes, cables, give the chain and sprockets a really good cleaning, remove the air box and give it a thorough cleaning, give the carb a good cleaning, replace brake fluids, replace anti-freeze...Off the top of my head that's it. A lot of that I do through out the year as well but I like my bikes to be A+ when the season comes in so my rusty riding is my only worry . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Great stuff Coop! Thanks!

Do you reccomend a certain brand of grease?

Best,

D.
gregp

Post by gregp »

Bel-Ray waterproof grease is great stuff if you can find it. I have aslo used boat trailer wheel bearing grease with good results.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mystic Brand Waterproof grease is great stuff too!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Should I get a grease gun, or is that overkill?
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
gregp

Post by gregp »

Some of these area's do not have zerk fittings, and it is usually best to pull everything apart to grease the bearings and sleeves well. For this, you do not need a grease gun. Just slather all of the parts up with your fingers.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
heckler

Post by heckler »

I find putting the bearings and the grease into a small plastic bag and then mooshing them around works really well to get the grease in all the little areas.