oil coming out from around new clutch release shaft seal

Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Finally, the lever and cover were really worn out. Lots of slop where the lever pivots in the housing.
This is the most likely cause of your leaks. You have options to fix it.

Mine leaks occasionally. I'll take some brake cleaner and clean up the seal area. A RH crank seal leak would be the last thing I would consider.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

Karl,

Mine is a significant leak. The oil would be too low after 30 minutes of riding I'm sure. So aside from purchasing new pieces (I've placed the order already), what options are there?

The approximate cost to end the leaking shaft seal.... $105 + shipping. Hopefully Ron Ayers is able to get all these.

clutch release shaft 13236-1195
clutch cover 14032-1266
clutch lever seal 92049-1262
needle bearing 92046-1176
oil level glass 52005-1055
1989 KDX 200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

And still you will have a problem

Something is forcing the oil out. The oil is just taking the path of least resistance.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:And still you will have a problem

Something is forcing the oil out. The oil is just taking the path of least resistance.
The vent should take care of excess pressure that makes its way to the transmission. I could tear into the engine and replace crankshaft seals but I'll replace the stuff that is obviously in need of repair along the way. The worn lever and case have a lot of slop so it needs to be replaced anyway.

There may be some point in this thread in a few weeks/months where I find crankshaft seals need to be replaced... I'll post it when the time comes :)
1989 KDX 200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'm thinking the oil is still going to puke, most likely all over your airbox :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

what time does the moon come out at night? the moon makes the tides come in, so maybe the moon has to do with seals leaking. see, when the moon is not out, your fluid level goes down.....thats why your bike dont leak at night. this is tru.....i read on the internet.
haha, funny.

I see no reason to argue about it any further. As sure as the moon comes up, crank seals leak in BOTH directions. It's not a damn check valve after all ;). If this is not the case, please explain to me how a leak down test reveals leaking crank seals?

Hopefully the op's issue is some worn components at the actuator shaft.
Last edited by Julien D on 07:06 pm Jan 19 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:

Hopefully the op's issue is some worn components at the actuator shaft.

Dunno, Mine's had a bad seal as long as I've owned the bike, but only leaks when I've added a whole quart or when hill climbing
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agree. Mine has a sloppy seal there too. I've never bothered with it because unless the thing is upside down, it doesn't leak from there.
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

Simple,have a leak down test done on the motor.Should be no pressure in the gearbox what so ever and should not be blowing oil after sitting for 10 minutes,its just a oil sump,only way you are getting pressure in there is either from the crankcase(seals,case seam)or somehow major excessive heat build up, eg. from clutch slipping.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

water pump seal will do it too DAMHIK :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:water pump seal will do it too DAMHIK :wink:
the oil would be a good indicator of this condition along with missing coolant, right?

For those interested I came across some info on making a leak down tester.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=506699

Seems easy enough to build and perform the test, but if I have oil coming out of my vent tube after replacing the cover/lever/seal I don't think a leakdown test will be necessary. I'll just right into splitting the cases and replacing bearings and seals.
1989 KDX 200
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

Ron Ayers informed me that the clutch cover is no longer available. I'm thinking about building up the worn out area by welding and having it machined back to spec. I think if the cover is cut in half it should be a fairly easy job.
1989 KDX 200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

205576 COVER-CLUTCH (14032-1266) X $64.24

They still show it available on their site

Not that it matters much

The clutch cover is NOT the problem
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:205576 COVER-CLUTCH (14032-1266) X $64.24

They still show it available on their site

Not that it matters much

The clutch cover is NOT the problem
The site isn't accurate. They don't always know the stock of items until they are delivered as I understand it.

If the cover had a hole in the top would it be a problem? Of course it would.

it effectively has a hole due to the rod stretching the seal beyond its limit.
1989 KDX 200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

That's not what is forcing the oil out :wink:

Bike Bandit shows it available too
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

None of us are there. We can't tell how much oil is leaking on you.
A couple of tablespoons looks like a lot spread all over the place.

A good machine shop could probably bore the existing hole and install a bushing.

For your own peace of mind you could reassemble the clutch cover but leave the lever, throwout bearing and shim out. Pop the seal out and plug the hole with a stopper. See what comes out of your crankase vent tube.

I bet FRP has some clutch covers.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

There's 2 on ebay right now
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:There's 2 on ebay right now
Thanks for the info. Last week I think there were none on ebay or I searched incorrectly.

I called frp and was told the replacement shaft would likely take care of it since it since mine is groved pretty bad. If not he has used covers and slight possibility a new one is hiding in his shop somewhere.
1989 KDX 200
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
chadr wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:There's 2 on ebay right now
Thanks for the info. Last week I think there were none on ebay or I searched incorrectly.

I called frp and was told the replacement shaft would likely take care of it since it since mine is groved pretty bad. If not he has used covers and slight possibility a new one is hiding in his shop somewhere.
My sympathy goes out Vince's family and friends. Feels a little odd posting on the forum.

I replaced the actuator shaft and added 750ml of oil (may have had too much in there before). There were no leaks after a good 30 minutes of riding. Today was the first day I could get out to enjoy it since the oil leaks are now under control.
1989 KDX 200