Some rebuild/hop-up questions

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Some rebuild/hop-up questions

Post by SS109 »

I just want to bounce a few ideas of everybody and see what you guys think or suggest. My suspension will be getting re-valved next week so it is time to concentrate on rebuilding the engine and getting some additional power. Oh, yeah, I will be adding the Dyna-Ring as well! :mrgreen:

I plan on having RB do the head and carb mods and rebuilding the crank with a Hot Rod kit. Has anyone installed a V-force 3 reed cage setup after already having the RB mods and, if so, do you feel the V3 was worth it?

Second, I currently am running an FMF Gnarly pipe with stock silencer. Would either the DG or PC pipe compliment the RB mods, and possibly the V3, better?

Where can I pick up the proper tool for splitting the cases or how can I make one?

Any other suggestions on what I should be doing while in to it? I already plan on replacing every bearing and bushing throughout the engine and trans. I really want this to be done right and to not have to worry about it for a long time.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

V3 good, boyseen better bang for buck.
I think the PC pipe is a bit more mid power over stock than your gnarly wood.
Everything will work together and add more humpff to the rb goodies.
your plan sounds like a good plan.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Here's the splitter I borrowed

Finding bolts the proper length was my only problem but easily remedied
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I originally had the Power Reeds, they were ok but no where near the excitement as the V-Force Delta II that I'm running now

I think Ron usually puts in a CEK needle after the mod

After I put on the Delta II's I could not keep the front end down, until I put in a DEK
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm thinking of sending my new piston to Jet-Hot (http://www.jet-hot.com/) to have the piston coated with a thermal barrier coating (TBC) on the crown and an anti-friction coating on the skirts. Totally overkill? Yes. Worth it? IMO, yes. I figure the anti-friction coating will help get me many more hours out of the piston and the same for the cylinder plating. The TBC will help just a bit with the power. $49 to have both done to the piston. I just might go for it. I guess you can even TBC the combustion chamber of the head and it will help keep the heat in the chamber for more power as well. Hmm.... :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I run the thermal coating on the pistons in my race engines, it's worth it there, but is spending $150 to coat a two stroke piston worth it to extend the life a little bit when a new piston is only $110? How does the TBC interact with the nikasil plating?

The VF3's are worth it IMO. I bought a proper case splitter for $50 at rmatv.
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Jet hot said they could do the TBC on the crown and the anti-friction on the skirts for $49. I think it is worth it considering I might not have to replace the piston for many, many years. BTW, if I do go ahead with the coatings, I plan to pull the cylinder at intervals (every 50 hours?) to take a look at how the coatings/cylinder is holding up.

I really don't see a problem with the TBC and the nikasil but I have asked Dan Groff at Jet Hot just to be sure. Just waiting to hear back from him.
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Jet hot said they could do the TBC on the crown and the anti-friction on the skirts for $49. I think it is worth it considering I might not have to replace the piston for many, many years. BTW, if I do go ahead with the coatings, I plan to pull the cylinder at intervals (every 50 hours?) to take a look at how the coatings/cylinder is holding up.

I really don't see a problem with the TBC and the nikasil but I have asked Dan Groff at Jet Hot just to be sure. Just waiting to hear back from him.
If you are going to pull the cylinder every 50 hours or so why worry about how long it will last?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Jet hot said they could do the TBC on the crown and the anti-friction on the skirts for $49. I think it is worth it considering I might not have to replace the piston for many, many years. BTW, if I do go ahead with the coatings, I plan to pull the cylinder at intervals (every 50 hours?) to take a look at how the coatings/cylinder is holding up.

If you are going to pull the cylinder every 50 hours or so why worry about how long it will last?
money
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

How long will a $110 piston last? How much is a top end gasket set?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Inspecting the condition of your engine is something you should do anyways. Maybe I won't pull the cylinder at regular intervals. Maybe just do a compression check and pull the pipe to take a peak at the cylinder. That would probably be enough. If it were to double the life of the piston and the cylinder plating (optimistic, I know) then I would say it was well worth it. At current prices (piston, re-plate, gaskets) it would save me about $300. Who knows how much a piston and re-plating will be the next time in 2, 5, 10+ years I need to have it done.

Plus, it is for my knowledge and piece of mind. Knowledge being that I plan on building my Mopar 498ci stroker and want to know how well the coatings work and how long they will last before paying a lot more to do eight huge pistons. Piece of mind in that I'm doing everything possible, within reason, to insure a long, happy, trouble free engine life and equally happy and trouble free riding.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Hey, for $49, go for it. Why not??
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Why not just buy a piston with the coating already applied?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-NOS- ... ccessories
'00 KDX 220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:Why not just buy a piston with the coating already applied?

Might have a tough time installing that in a 200 :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<

:lol: Wibby, you rock!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<

Wow... SOMEONE'S never heard of a hammer before... :rolleyes:
'00 KDX 220R