Proper hardware for plastics

Got questions? We got answers....
jad628
Supporting Member

Proper hardware for plastics

Post by jad628 »

On my '95 KDX 200, the previous owner apparently held stock in a zip-tie company as that appears to have been his hardware answer for anything plastic on the bike. I have new side panel, shrouds, fenders, etc. , in-bound but I don't think I have a single OEM bolt on the plastics to get an indication of what size I need to obtain. Especially on the side panels and radiator shrouds; can anyone please inform me of what size bolts I will need? I'm fairly certain they'll be metric, but I'd rather know for sure and get the right ones in the first trip.

Thanks,

John
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Metric for sure. I want to say they are 6mm bolts (8mm heads) but I am not about the lengths.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

metric, but they are all of different length.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Maybe one of the online parts fiche sources would help, like http://www.kawasakipartshouse.net

They are definitely 6 mm thd. I have found these bolts hard to come by. You might have to buy some sort of hardware kit. I've seen them on Ebay for about $15, IIRC.

I'd be willing to measure the length a few key ones for you if that would help.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
turtle wrote:Maybe one of the online parts fiche sources would help, like http://www.kawasakipartshouse.net

They are definitely 6 mm thd. I have found these bolts hard to come by. You might have to buy some sort of hardware kit. I've seen them on Ebay for about $15, IIRC.

I'd be willing to measure the length a few key ones for you if that would help.
Thanks, I'd appreciate any help that can be offered!

From that site, it looks like I need 6x20, 6x12, and 6x25 to do the job along with some collars.
Last edited by jad628 on 01:07 pm Jan 14 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

RockyMountain ATV sells assorted 6mm bolt kits for $15.99. You get several different lengths.

RMA bolt kit
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Coop wrote:RockyMountain ATV sells assorted 6mm bolt kits for $15.99. You get several different lengths.

RMA bolt kit
Thanks for the link. If I can't find them locally, I'll go that route.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My local Ace hardware has a good selection of metric flange bolts
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:My local Ace hardware has a good selection of metric flange bolts
Closest to me are Northern Tool and Lowe's, but there are some Ace Hardwares too. I figure between them and a slew of auto parts stores, I should get lucky.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:My local Ace hardware has a good selection of metric flange bolts
Same here. The one downside is that the head of the same size bolt will be different than what came on the bike.
jad628
Supporting Member

Post by jad628 »

>|<>QBB<
Tedh98 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Same here. The one downside is that the head of the same size bolt will be different than what came on the bike.
lol, that won't be a problem for me! I don't think it has an original bolt in the plastic anywhere.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You could also get allen head bolts
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:You could also get allen head bolts
I usually switch to allen heads when I buy locally because I can never find metric flange bolts. Ace, Lowes, Napa, nobody around here has them. I prefer an allen head over the larger 10mm bolt heads that are always on the bolts I can find around here lol.

But anyway mismatched bolts is a common "issue" on used bikes. I do my best to either use the correct bolt or change them all to the same head. So if I use an allen head on one fender or side cover bolt, I replace them all with the same one so it takes one tool to remove it. I am confused why my 2003 side covers have 3 8mm socket heads and one phillips head cam type. Why?

2003 KDX200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I converted mine all over to flanged SS allen head, and it's sweet to be able to use a T wrench on them. I got them from Decatur nut and Bolt co when living in IL...LOL. Regardless a specialty store like this is likely to have whatever you want.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

Get this

http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,106687.html

You'll be able to replace most every bolt with it. I keep the cheaper one (20 bucks) in the garage for lost bolts etc. They are exact copies of the originals. Nothing is worse than having different size head on everything.
I'm a big 8,10,12 man.
They also make them for KTM's.
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
gregp

Post by gregp »

Yes, the 6mm bolts with 8mm washer heads can mostly only be found at motorcycle specific shops and websites, 6mm bolts with standard 10mm heads can be found at almost any auto parts or hardware store.
Like others here, I like to maintain my bike with the correct hardware. Over the years, I have collected a large jar of 6mm fasteners. It comes in handy all the time. Now, whenever I come across a "dead" bike, I look for fasteners that I can strip from it for my collection.
In looking for a new, used bike, I always check it over for oddball fasteners. Nothing quite sucks as bad as having multiple size and style fasteners all over your bike.
BTW- 8mm bolts with 12mm heads are similar in availabilty. All you will find in auto parts stores and hardware stores is 8mm bolts with 13mm heads...and they will throw delays into your maintenance work every time.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I was just at Ace, they have flange bolts in both standard and small head sizes

But I liked the ss pan head allens better :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
gregp

Post by gregp »

That figures. I do not have an ACE Hardware store anywhere near me.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:That figures. I do not have an ACE Hardware store anywhere near me.
Ace is the place... Sorry

CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

I measured some screws.

Each rad shroud: 10 mm (2 screws into gas tank); 25mm (screw at lower front near radiator)

Each side panel uses 20 mm screws. My LH side panel has a cam type screw as well. Is this stock?

HTH.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE