Best headlight set-up

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Best headlight set-up

Post by skipro3 »

My turn to ask a question:
I've convinced myself that a headlight is a great way to avoid head-on collisions and might come in handy if caught out after dark.

With that in mind, I want to install the best headlight system (within reason folks) My stock stuff is long gone, including the regulator. I still have the lighting coil installed but I'm guessing that an aftermarket unit will perform better. So, what do you guys recommend parts wise as well as hook up wise. I even need a light switch to turn the thing on and off.
Thanks!!! :prayer:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

UFO Twins, Moose Lighting Coil and 12v Regulator. Stock Kawi Switch will work if you want both on at the same time. Should be under $150 for the whole deal. I'll even let you change your vote in my lighting coil pole :wink:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You may want to try http://www.rickystator.com. He has coils, lighting, switches, regulators, etc. I think it is in CA, so maybe it is not too far geographically from you.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ski... If your just running a headlight, there's no reason to think that the stock setup won't work as well as a after market setup. I run a stock setup and it is plenty bright.
As far as wiring.... do you remember my post on using the "light" switch just for the headlight? It works very well....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

One of these days I'm gonna remove the switch on mine, I'm always bumping it and never realize that I'm running with my light off

UFO Twins is a good unit, it's pretty cheap, holds up well in head-on's with trees,:rolleyes: and has much better output than the stocker

Oh, you said Best headlight set-up?

Thats gotta be the one on my Strom!
Dual H-4 Silverstars, friggen amazing low beam!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What is it about KDX owners and smart mouths?
Let me clairify for you Wib; the best set-up for a KDX!!!
Why aren't you out camping with CC right about now?

I would run stock INda, but I got rid of my stock stuff soon after I got the KX front end. Replacement stock is no bargain. Since I want to run the lights all the time for safety, I think I will forgo the on/off switch. Just a male/female connector somewhere easy to pull the plug if I need to.

I like the UFO twins look. What's the cheapest place to buy that stuff. The rickystator site didn't make much sense to me?!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

E-mail him. I did, and he e-mailed me back the same day a couple of times, making things super clear to me about 6V and 12V systems. cicone has one of his stator coils and it got him up and going again for a lot less than the apparently no longer available Electrex stator coils he had had trouble with.

Here's the headlight:

http://www.rickystator.com/pages/Acerbis%20DHH.html

Here's the regulator:

http://www.rickystator.com/pages/AC_Vol ... lator.html

Here's the light switch:

http://www.rickystator.com/pages/On_Off ... witch.html

I don't see a lighting coil for 1989 and newer, so you may want to e-mail him on that. He told me that with a 12 volt regulator, his coil would run 85 watts.

Here's the 1983 - 1988 lighting coil if that helps. It is cheap at only $40.

http://www.rickystator.com/pages/Kawasa ... _coil.html

I hope this helps.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks Jason!

That does help. I understand now. You don't order online, you have to call. Not open weekends so it will be Tuesday before I make the call. Again, thanks!

Anyone else top these suggestions or think their lighting system is better?
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You're welcome.

cicone was all praise for him

The baja buggy looking headlight setup on the rickystator page should be enough light for you. Approaching ATV'ers will slow down, as most just blinded people will do. :lol:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yea, I liked that setup! I wonder how much the KDX motor would bog down when you hit that light switch. (Assuming you could get an alternator mounted to the KDX.) Bet it needs a relay to handle the current. A poor switch would just fry.

What ever happened to the generator? Remember those things we all had on our bicycles? It would tip in and rub against the tire to spin the armature. That would be a hoot to see on a modern dirt bike!
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Whatever the lighting needs are, I am sure he can explain it. I am going from headlight to numberplate, like you did. Whenever I get my bikes back together, I won't be riding at night for the foreseeable future, so I will let a numberplate block limbs instead of an expensive headlight.

You can always go with some super motard tires and have the generator, I suppose.

I never had one of those. I rode by moonlight or light from car headlights. I know what you mean though.

Back in the late '80's before companies made MX bike lighting coils/systems, some used batteries to power headlights. It was just to have legal lighting for a race, though.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Jason my 89 came with a number plate, I pulled it off to put on a light so if you want it i'll send it your way when I get my shock out to you?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the offer! I'll PM you for more details.

skipro3, please report back within this thread as to what you hear from ricky stator. I am curious to hear what he has to offer in the way of '89 and up 200/220 lighting coils. I never thought I would be unable to ride at night, so who knows. I may be able to ride again at night some time. The stock light is OK for 1st or 2nd gear speeds, but beyond that it gets less effective.

By the way, my '87 came with a bunny blinding 6 volt, 25 watt bulb stock. It was great for coasting uphill speeds. :shock:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I emailed ricky stator a while ago with some questions about lighting coils for the 89-05 KDX's. He just rewinds the existing lighting coil, he doesn't sell a lighting coil kit persay for them.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, cool. Thanks for the info. Did he mention a price?

Thanks.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Dennis Kirk has the Twins for under $60
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

$40 to rewind your stock coil, sez its good for 85w if I recall correctly. But i'm a little unsure of how thats happening. If you look at a stock coil and a electrex coil the electrex has a bunch of extra plates as well as thicker wire. From what I've gathered Ricky just rewinds the coil with thicker wire and a packs a little more on the coil. I think his coil might not work as hot at lower RPM's, but i've got no way of really knowing for sure.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think he quoted me 85 watts on the '87 coil as well. He is in CA, isn't he? It sounds like it would be worth it for the lighting.

Since you have an E and both coils, did your stock coil come with a white/clear zip-tie around it? Was your stator locked in with red Loc-Tite? That is how mine is/was, so I am curious.

Thanks.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I think there was loc-tite on the threads and broken zip-tie around it. I didn't ask when I emailed him but I don't think he attaches the wire from the cable for you. So you have to solder a wire, no biggie, but you don't want to dump a bunch of heat into that wire, you'll tweak the enamal coating.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I did the epoxy thing a few days ago, and there was red Loc-Tite on the threads. Thanks for letting me know. It looked factory, but I was wondering about that. Thank goodness for a hand impact driver!