airbox mod

Got questions? We got answers....
don prekler

airbox mod

Post by don prekler »

how do i do an airbox mod on a 99 kdx 200
gregp

Post by gregp »

Just remove the entire top cover and snorkel assemby, and remount the CDI to the frame rail with a zip tie.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Another option is to cut the large portion out of the lid and then you don't have to remount the CDI. Whoever did mine also put some window screen across the top of the lid to keep out any larger stuff.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

mine runs great with just the snorkle removed...i tried it with the whole lid removed once & all that seemed to do was make it sound a lot louder on full throttle.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

you have to jet your bike to get the full performance, even with the airbox and snorkel, the bike is jetted rich from factory.
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

I trimmed the crap out of my lid and made it so I can use pantyhose stretched over it as a prefilter if need be.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

This works great also

Plus my filter stays much cleaner for much longer
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

What are those?
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

>|<>QBB<
Coop wrote:What are those?
they are little pop in filters.I forget the name of them but they work pretty well :partyman:

In hindsight I would just have pulled the lid and re jetted vs cutting it,I ended up buying a extra lid for when I clean my bike to seal the box from water and debris etc.

On a side note I mounted my cdi thing to the inside of the air box,I was nervous attaching it to the frame on my e series due to the way the bike vibrates and to protect it from the elements.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Thanks rbates! I searched for twenty minutes and gave up. I was calling them a filter, not a vent. Guess that's why LOL. I just made an order for jets and fork bleeders, if I had known about these I would have added them to the order.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Coop wrote:Thanks rbates! I searched for twenty minutes and gave up. I was calling them a filter, not a vent. Guess that's why LOL. I just made an order for jets and fork bleeders, if I had known about these I would have added them to the order.
Sometimes just figuring out what to call something is the biggest challenge.:hmm:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Coop wrote:What are those?
Sorry I did not see you asked about them earlier

Some days I get my thread subscriptions and some days I don't

I like those vents. They each have a little foam filter that I oil with filter oil
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Yeah I think I am going to get some of those. I like the idea of not just having an open airbox. I have done it in the past but wouldn't mind trying those vents. I ordered a variety of new jets and I'd like to do some type of airbox mod before I start jetting changes. I can't afford any major performance work this year so I am just trying to get the bike running as cleanly as I can on my tight budget.

2003 KDX200