Dyna Ring install tips?

Got questions? We got answers....
wvsp612

Dyna Ring install tips?

Post by wvsp612 »

Ok, I'm looking for any tips I need to know before installing my christmas present Dyna Ring. I am fairly handy and actually successfully completed my first ever top end on my KDX last spring with the cyclepedia manual. However, I am not well versed at all in working on clutches. The instructions from revloc look fairly straightforward. I have a friend who will loan me an impact gun to remove the clutch hub nut. I assume that is easier than removing the flywheel cover and using a flywheel holder to keep in from spinning? Possibly a dumb question, but in the cyclepedia manual it shows that you have to disconnect the shaft advancer and remove what looks like the entire right side cover to access the clutch

http://www.cyclepedia.com/manuals/CPP-1 ... C_1335.JPG

Can you not just remove the round clutch cover? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks for any help
Cody
2003 KDX 200
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I just installed mine the other day. You are correct, you only need to remove round clutch cover.

I just used a ratchet to remove the 22mm nut. I put the bike in 3rd or 4th gear and held the rear brake lever down with one hand and loosened the nut with the ratchet with the other hand.

It is about as straightforward as the instructions make it seem. I was done in about an hour I think.

There is a link in this thread that should help out.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=
Kman6287
Supporting Member

Post by Kman6287 »

I had to use an impact wrench to get mine off, which worked easy. You don't need to drain your oil just lay the bike on its side and remove the clutch cover. I did get confused on one item and that was the removal of the "o" ring. I was thinking of a small rubber o ring when in fact it is that large diameter thin steel ring that has to be removed. Once you get it in it is just cable adjustments to set the slip. You will really like it once it is on!
2003 KX 220 Hybrid - RB Head & Carb, Dyna Ring, Flexx Bars
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Its an easy install. The pics you see on the link are from my KLX450R install.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr