Silencer packing questions (not how to)

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Silencer packing questions (not how to)

Post by turtle »

During a recent ride I talked to another guy with a KDX. He had an aftermarket silencer on it and I noticed it was really quiet. My '04 220 sounds good but it is loud. Given the lack of care from the PO, I figured it had been a long time since the silencer (FMF TC II) was repacked and the packing was probably blown out.

I took mine apart and it was kind of oil soaked, as expected (some spooge does show up), but what surprised me was how tight and intact the packing still was. I've never been into a 2 stroke silencer before so I don't know what I am looking at. I figured 'blown out' is a pretty literal term and that I would not find the packing still rolled in there so tight.

Can I learn anything else from the condition of this packing? Will it be about the same sound level when I get it repacked using FMF 2 stroke performance packing. I'm guessing it will. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Image[/url]

[/img]Image
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

It will be much quieter after a repack

I prefer to use Silent Sport, it's very quiet. And a bag will last me for 3 or 4 packings

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

The packing on a 2 stroke eventually fills with spooge, I've never seen it blow out
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I am partially deaf (deaf in one ear), so remember this after you read what I am about to type, lol. But I can never hear the difference after a re-pack, doesn't matter if I use Moose, FMF, or even pink house insulation (yes it works in a pinch). I keep my silencers re-packed for jetting purposes, not for noise, since I can't tell the difference haha.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Man I can sure tell a difference, especially with the silly string
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I've never tried that. maybe I should try it in my nephew's CR80. That little bike is LOUD.

Have a link where I can get some info?
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

the looser the packing, the quiter it is. it asorbs the sound more.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Thanks Wibbens. I didn't know the brand or I would have searched myself... :grin:

2003 KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I was just in a shop today, the friggen bag is half the size as it used to be

I was afraid to ask what the price was
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I have an FMF silencer and used steel wool for packing haha, and it works great! I didn't pack it tightly either, seems to absorb the sound more. It's very quiet for an FMF pipe and silencer combo, my neighbors can't hear me until I come around the corner of my block