about to powder coat

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

about to powder coat

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Im about to start disassembly on my kdx to have the frame and swing arm powder coated and wanted to know if theres anything i should be aware of or if theres any special tools or areas that need close attention?

The only part i can see as a problem would be the bearings for the steering stem.are they pressed in?can i leave them in or will they need to come out?

Thanks guys

Btw this thing is going to look awesome i chose a metallic green on the frame and a gloss black with metallic flake on the swing arm.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

you can leave them in, just make sure they are covered, or instruct the shop to do so. Most places that do powdercoating know to cover over bolts holes and openings.
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

i would polish the swingarm........but, thats what i would do. i just think alluminum is suppose to shine, not be painted, or powder coated.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

doesn't shine very long though unless you like to buff a lot or clear coat it. Not to mention how much of a pain it is to polish...
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I polished the subframe of a KX250 I used to own. I swore I would never polish another part on a dirtbike. Took forever and needed constant work to stay nice. Blah, not for me.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:doesn't shine very long though unless you like to buff a lot or clear coat it. Not to mention how much of a pain it is to polish...
http://www.zoopseal.com/ pricey but well worth it,Honestly though I polished my swing arm back in 94 and just hit it with some never dull and then some car wax once in a while and it comes right back up to a shine.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

it's a DIRT bike, not a show bike to me, I done it once cuz I had lots of time on my hands, never again, I'd rather go ride than spend 1h buffing, to each his own.
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:it's a DIRT bike, not a show bike to me, I done it once cuz I had lots of time on my hands, never again, I'd rather go ride than spend 1h buffing, to each his own.
cant argue with that......I did it back then because being a kid I had more time then money :supz: but now I'm redoing my old kdx as a project to bring her new life.I plan on getting another bike shortly to ride and just thrash
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:it's a DIRT bike, not a show bike to me, I done it once cuz I had lots of time on my hands, never again, I'd rather go ride than spend 1h buffing, to each his own.
mine are DIRT bikes also.......but i like them to look as good as they perform. talking about time? how much time did it take to do that hybred of yours? how much time does it take to do a fork conversion? not trying to be a smartass, but just pointing out people spend alot of time on "other" things, so why not polish some stuff while you have it tore down for the winter? i mean, you have what, 3-4 months of winter to work on it? i have alot of polished peices on my bikes, i just wash them, and rub some parts out by hand to keep them looking good.......heck, doing that will find alot of problems.{loose or worn parts}
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
kdxmaniac wrote:>|<>QBB<
mine are DIRT bikes also.......but i like them to look as good as they perform. talking about time? how much time did it take to do that hybred of yours? how much time does it take to do a fork conversion? not trying to be a smartass, but just pointing out people spend alot of time on "other" things, so why not polish some stuff while you have it tore down for the winter? i mean, you have what, 3-4 months of winter to work on it? i have alot of polished peices on my bikes, i just wash them, and rub some parts out by hand to keep them looking good.......heck, doing that will find alot of problems.{loose or worn parts}
Shiny is a good thing. It doesn't take that long to do if you do a piece here and there. Also if you wanted to polish the swing arm, they do have clear powder coat.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

[/quote]
how much time did it take to do that hybred of yours? how much time does it take to do a fork conversion? not trying to be a smartass, but just pointing out people spend alot of time on "other" things, so why not polish some stuff while you have it tore down for the winter? i mean, you have what, 3-4 months of winter to work on it? i have alot of polished peices on my bikes, i just wash them, and rub some parts out by hand to keep them looking good.......heck, doing that will find alot of problems.{loose or worn parts}[/quote]

Don't have to get touchy about it, just sayin that I did it on my "hybred" cuz I was waiting for parts and that I'd never do it again cuz it was such a pain in the ass and not worth to me. I do too like to have a good lookin ride, however not to the point of polishing after every ride. :mrgreen:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

u can also spray a can of clear coat , that's what I did and seem to hold up pretty good so far...with no more rubbing / polishing :wink:
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

powder coat it chrome if you dont want to polish. thats what i did to some peices on my banshee that was steel.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
kdxmaniac wrote:>|<>QBB<
Putting the time into a hybrid or fork conversion provides with results that you can FEEL when you ride, which is quite satisfying. I seriously doubt that polished swingarm is going to help you get from point a to point b more comfortably or quickly. So which time was better spent?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Polished swing arms have less wind resistance. = Faster! :lol:
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

seriously anyone with polished parts check out zoop seal.It's not a clear coat of any kind,basicly you treat the aluminum and forget it other then your normal washing.Nothing to chip peal etc.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Is there any chance that the "z" in BobbyZ stands for zoop?
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

i never said anything about "feeling"?? i just said that people spend all that time doing everything else to there bike, but some dont want to spent time detailing?? if you have the swingarm off puting bearings in it, why not polish it? at least people will know you done something. i think of it like this, if i build a car motor, but dont clean and detail the engine, how many people will think its actually a "new" engine? get my point?
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Polished swing arms have less wind resistance. = Faster! :lol:
no........think you ment ktm=faster. :wink: ......... all the joking aside, if yaw are laughing about polishing for looks being stupid, then why waste the time powdercoating, new plastics, or decals, ect? :roll:......i dont think that makes the bike "faster" or "feel" better does it??
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Is there any chance that the "z" in BobbyZ stands for zoop?
seems like it but no,it's a nickname I got because a few riding buddies of mine all had the same name.I've always had kawi's and when I got into sport bikes I had a ZX-7.At first it was just for my bike,after a while it was a nickname that stuck :wink: