dyno anyone?

Got questions? We got answers....
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

dyno anyone?

Post by BobbyZ »

I've been wondering if anyone has ever strapped their kdx to the rollers,or if there where any charts of one that has been.

:supz:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

here's an old comparison between a dx200 and ktm200.

http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/dynotesting.html

Pretty kewl.
gregp

Post by gregp »

Neat. Looks like 30HP is plenty for me!
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... as usual anything dirtflamer puts up is skewed terribly. The thing has already been heavily modified by FRP with porting, head mod, RAD valve etc... Where is the baseline? :roll:

And it is an ongoing document! Ha... seriously? nooooo.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

yeah it is pretty cool,and I have very similar mods done to my E series as the bike there,I cant wait to get everything in order this spring. :partyman:

30+hp to the back wheel is far from a slouch :supz:

thanks for digging those up
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Well... as usual anything dirtflamer puts up is skewed terribly. The thing has already been heavily modified by FRP with porting, head mod, RAD valve etc... Where is the baseline? :roll:

while I agree with what your saying................to have a actual true baseline you'd have to strap a stock bike on the same dyno in the same day,conditions,etc,etc.

The short of it is they are great tuning tools imo and not much more.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Well... as usual anything dirtflamer puts up is skewed terribly. The thing has already been heavily modified by FRP with porting, head mod, RAD valve etc... Where is the baseline? :roll:

You got that right. It's one of the only published dyno charts for a KDX i have ever found though. I'm guessing we'd be in the neighborhood of 28 - 30 rwhp stock. Might sound slim, but the KDX puts it's power down in a different way than the mx breed. The numbers mean jack. Kawi says 37 or something? I'd assume that's HP at the crank.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

the kdx owns to say the least, i had a DRZ pushing 45-50 odd BHP and it was useless off road
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

what mods did u have on the drz?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
moto_psycho wrote:the kdx owns to say the least, i had a DRZ pushing 45-50 odd BHP and it was useless off road
sounds more like a rider issue :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol, easy now. We all know the DRZ is a pig in the woods. Open trails, sure. Single track, the KDX spanks it's ass.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:lol, easy now. We all know the DRZ is a pig in the woods. Open trails, sure. Single track, the KDX spanks it's ass.
It's a little lighter than a DR, and I could take my DR anywhere a KDX would go

Might take a fair beating over the rough sections, but I'd eventually get there
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<
It's a little lighter than a DR, and I could take my DR anywhere a KDX would go

Might take a fair beating over the rough sections, but I'd eventually get there
i have a dr350.......and your right. my dr will do just about anything the kdx will do........exept in the suspension department! :roll:
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Yeah even as crappy as the KDX suspension is, it's leaps and bounds better than a DR

I had a DR650

Unless the trail got really rocky I was much faster on the DR

Sadly I sold it to try to save my house

Then ended up losing it anyway :sad:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

man..........sorry to hear about your loss........both of them. i got in the same situation a couple years ago, and had to sell my truck, so i know how you feel. it sucks! damn economy!!! :evil:
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
gregp

Post by gregp »

I sold my DRZ400s last year to get my 2nd KDX. The DRZ was the best bike I'll never miss. It did everything "OK", but nothing great. In the woods, its height and weight were severe liabilities, and I found myself laying on the ground more often than not. Higher speed, open trails were its forte. Unfortunately, I do not have much of that around here.
Now, I have my plated KDX for the woods, and a (lowered) DR650SE for the street and light two-up touring.
I agree with Inda, there is no baseline, nor is there any charting showing the progression of mods. I would have to guess that a bone stock KDX (with air box lid and snorkel in place, and stock exhaust) only puts out somewhere around 22-25 HP, but that is just a seat of the pants guess.
I *love* the KDX! I have yet to find a bike, any bike, that I prefer in the tight New England woods.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

A lowered DR?

You must be one short fugger
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
gregp

Post by gregp »

I am 5'-7" with a 30" inseam. Short legs, I guess. The 1996 and up DR650's have a factory lowering option. If I were riding it in the dirt, I would leave it "tall", but since it is for street use only, and I occasioanlly ride with a passenger, I like being able to put both feet on the ground if needed. As I get older, it is just that much tougher to swing a leg over a taller bike.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:>|<>QBB<

You got that right. It's one of the only published dyno charts for a KDX i have ever found though. I'm guessing we'd be in the neighborhood of 28 - 30 rwhp stock. Might sound slim, but the KDX puts it's power down in a different way than the mx breed. The numbers mean jack. Kawi says 37 or something? I'd assume that's HP at the crank.
yeah I couldn't find a chart anywhere,so while it's modded the fact is it's better then nothing to start with.
the greatest thing with the kdx is the amount of power it has through the whole curve vs a mx'ers peak.If someone overlapped the graphs with a 125 and even a 250 you'd see where the kdx has a bit more power in a lot more places then the mx bikes do.This alone is why the kdx has shocked more then a few unsuspecting mx bikes and riders.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Well, if a DRZ400 was modded to make 50rwhp, I'd bet it's usefulness in the woods would be numbered.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project