Clutch basket Griding?

Got questions? We got answers....
220ripper
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Clutch basket Griding?

Post by 220ripper »

Doing an complete engine breakdown and rebuild, and saw that the bottom of the Clutch basket had been chewed up pretty badly. It doesn;t look like it will effect the performance but I can't tell where its coming from? has anyone experienced a similar situation with the clutch basket?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There's some pretty rough machining marks on the back of the basket. Hopefully that's what you're talking about? If not, there's a thrust washer that supposed to go behind it, if it's not there, it could be hitting the main gear.
220ripper
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 220ripper »

Thanks Juliend, I think its hitting the main gear as the marks are on the side of the basket. :partyman:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

When i first brought my 89 home, it made an awful grinding noise when rocking it in gear. I was scared to start it that way. When I tore it down, someone had put the wrong clutch basket in. Real nice basket, but didn't have that angle on the side so it would clear the main gear. Lucky for me, the right basket was in a box of parts he gave me with the bike.

the stock basket has some pretty rough grinded looking machining marks around the back edge, like I mentioned before. Are you sure it is hitting? Seems unlikely if it's the correct basket and has the washer behind it. I don't think the clutch works without that washer there, so.....