Quick Question - Kickstarter

Got questions? We got answers....
KawE30

Quick Question - Kickstarter

Post by KawE30 »

My 2002 kdx200 kick starter broke off in the forest recently. I need a new one by the weekend, and the only I have found that I can get in time is a 1986 Kickstarter kdx200 kick starter lever on eBay.

Do you guys know if it will fit? I have until the end of the day to order. Let me know if I should go ahead with the order. THANKS!
KawE30

Re: Quick Question - Kickstarter

Post by KawE30 »

I can also order an FRP freddete racing aftermatket kick starter and get it very fast.

But I'm wondering if it's a simple bolt on or will I need custom knuckle or something else. Or will it just bolt up to the knuckle currently on there. Because only my lever broke everything else is good
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Not sure if that will work, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the kickstart shaft was the same size from 84 on. There are a few threads on here about building up a shorty style kicker from KX125/250 parts and IIRC a 1998-2002 KX250 kicker bolts right up. If you go the Fredette route they only provide the lever so you would need to use your existing knuckle and it just bolts right up with the OEM hardware
KawE30

Post by KawE30 »

Given that info I'll go with the freddete, shipping is super fast (40$ overnight isn't too bad.)

Btw that garage of yours is sick . And here I was thinking I'm crazy for wanting to add a 3rd bike to the stable :mrgreen:

Could you tell me more about your kdx kx hybrid. Cause man, I love my kdx engine. But honestly the suspension leaves a lot to be desired for me in stock form. Riding fast in tight trails, small sand dunes and motocross-like sections is a handful on the kdx, the bike wants to throw me off and kill me lol. Rode a friend's old early 2000s rm125 and man I felt like I was many times faster than the kdx, just cause of the suspension. I was considering doing a revalve but not even sure if that's enough, probably not. At,this point thinking of selling the kdx and getting a kx125 or kx250.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Its all about springing it for the right weigth. The KDX is uneven from the factory, too soft out front and barely stiff enough out back. Get the right springs for your riding weight and then go ride, best money you'll spend on her.

Yeah, unfortunately I have a problem turning away old bikes, have the parts to build up another early 90s RM250 to add to the stable. It's a sickness!