New Guy in S. Florida 2

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
jack10525

New Guy in S. Florida 2

Post by jack10525 »

:mrgreen:

Yeah I'm really in South Florida. South of Miami and almost in the Keys. If you know where that is. Well I've been all around the web searching for a good KDX site. Hopefully this one will prove worthy. :mrgreen: Well I've got a 01 KDX 200 that I have to completely rebuild the engine on. Stupid previous owner shredded the connecting rod bearing. So anybody have any tips on rebuilding the lower half of the engine? The top end is easy.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome to the site!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the site! I know where the Keys are (at the bottom). :grin: One of my bikes came from Port St. Lucie.

Sorry to hear of your bike needing lower end engine work. I have split the cases on a grand total of one KDX engine. I learned to take it slowly and keep checking the gaps when splitting the two halves. I used a $20 steering wheel puller from Sears with a couple of long 5mm x .8mm thread pitch bolts. I used a lot of grease on the contact points and used a 8mm x 1.25mm bolt in the end of the crankshaft to keep things from getting damaged. The left side main bearing kept making a loud cracking sound every few turns as it was coming out. It scared me, but it was OK. I went around the halves often with gentle taps from a rubber mallet to try to maintain even gaps all around the halves.

I have read to use rubber bands to keep the transmission gears on the shafts. You may want to take a few pictures of how it is coming apart, as far as the shift forks on the shift rods and how they fit into the transmission gears.

This was not my main engine. It was a spare, so I did not have to reasseemble or repair it. I was just doing it for practice. I found a small crack in the shift shaft guide area, meaning cracked crankcase, so I didn't bother with trying to put it back together.

I have read that it takes a strong hydraulic press to separate the two crankshaft halves. You may want to send this part off. I asked Eric Gorr at Forward Motion how much it would cost for just the labor to install a new big end bearing, washers, connecting rod and pin. He said it would be $50 for labor.

He has some lower end engine rebuilding information on his site, http://www.ericgorr.com. That helped me a lot. Though I didn't need to do it, the "putting a bearing into a Ziploc bag in the freezer" and heating a slug sitting in a bearing race sound like great info for the reassembly.

Good luck with it and take your time, triple checking stuff.

Again, welcome to the site.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jack10525

Post by jack10525 »

Well I took the bottom end to a shop and they split the case for 80 bucks. It probably took them a whole 20 minutes. :evil: And they wonder why we buy so much online and not at there shops. :butthead: Anyway I found a site that I believe will install the connecting rod for ~30-40 bucks. I just have to ship it off. I may try and find something local. It looks like this engine rebuild is gonna cost around $400 and that's if I do most of it myself. Oh well live and learn. And I thought I was getting such a good deal!!!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

$80 for 20 minutes labor?! Was that just to split them??? Splitting them is the easy part.

Nothing cheap about the dirt biking hobby. :sad: We love 'em though!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you will be the first to tear into the bottom end of a newer KDX. You will be an instant expert here! We will all be looking forward to reports on how this all goes for you.
Post up some photos in the gallery if you can.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jack10525

Post by jack10525 »

I'll only post up pics if I get it back together in working condition. :mrgreen: Right now I'm kind of intimidated. Yeah the shop I took it to did a shitty job. I just din't want to break anything. If I had known how to do it I would have. Well they basically through all the parts in the box I brought the lower end in. Now I have to figure out what goes where. I got a the kawasaki service manual but in my opinion it is not that good. I definately will not be recommending it. It just leaves to many things unclear. Haynes manual are based on a complete breakdown and rebuild. This one seems like it's missing alot of info. :butthead: Anyway if I feel that I can't put it back together right I'll probably bite the bullet and take it to a shop. The only problem is the shops down here suck ass. They have the worst customer service. Oh maybe somebody can help me with the crank. I think I am sending it to RB designs to get rebuilt. They do a lot of dirt bike work. I found them on a forum somewhere. Anyway they have to seperate my crank and install a new connectin rod and bearings. Has anybody ever heard of this company? Once I get the crank back then I have to figure out how to install the main bearings. This is starting to scare me. Did I mention the manual sucks. Yeah I've had a couple of beers and I'm starting to rant. Well if you have any tips, pass them on to me. :rolleyes: :partyman:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

jack10525 wrote: I think I am sending it to RB designs to get rebuilt. They do a lot of dirt bike work. I found them on a forum somewhere. Anyway they have to seperate my crank and install a new connectin rod and bearings. Has anybody ever heard of this company?
Yeah a few of us have heard of RB designs :mrgreen: Ron (the RB in RB designs) is a member here so if you've got a question about his service email or PM him (RBD is his username). While your chatting with him be sure to ask about his carb and head mods...they are keepers too!

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think you might mean Eric Gorr. He's here in Illinois... one of the best and most reasonable rebuilder there is. There's a link to his and Rons website on the links page if your looking for it.
Sorry to hear of the PP service you got. I feel for ya... :cry:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Since Eric Gorr is backlogged on 4-stroke valves, I bet he has plenty of time to work on a two stroke bottom end. Heck, he probably would enjoy the break from all the trash 4-strokes he keeps getting mailed his way!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Go to http://www.buykawasaki.com and find the parts diagrams for your model. They will tell how many of each part there is, plus a diagram of how they fit together.

The OEM manual is the ONLY manual. There is no aftermarket manual for it.

Read the article on the http://www.ericgorr.com site I mentioned. It will cover some aspects of lower end service.
woodbutcher

Post by woodbutcher »

Welcome!

Another vote here for Eric Gorr. The service is good, the work is excellent, his prices can't be beat.
95 200 (EG225)
CR125
CR250
TTR125
TTR125L (All BBR'd Up)
TTR125LE
jack10525

Post by jack10525 »

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm starting to feel a little better about this project. I have been practicing putting the engine together to see where everything goes. I've only got one thing I can't seem to find a home for. A very thing ~22 mm washer/shim/spacer thing. :mrgreen:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I recall 'someone' saying 'something' about a clutch washer that is commonly overlooked. I may also be wrong or misinterpreted what was said.

Oh, Gday and a big warm welcome. :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jack10525

Post by jack10525 »

FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

Jack there is a local guy I would recommend if you want to take it to someone with a good bit of integrity. His name is Greg Barker of GB Works. He pretty much runs the tracks at the Seminole Indian Motocross facility. His box van is setup on site but he works on motors and suspension at his house. He's in Pembrooke Pines I believe. Hit me up if you want his number.
03 220R
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

An error has occurred.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in.

Please push the Back button on your browser to correct this problem.
Thank you.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I get the same thing.... :? Same as on the other site! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Put it in your gallery here Jack and put a link to it in this post. Thats the easy way. :supz:

jack10525

Post by jack10525 »

Ok check out my gallery 01 KDX 200 I have added pics and the washer is there.