Hi everyone - central IL

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hi everyone - central IL

Post by turtle »

Hi all. Thought I'd introduce myself to the forum. I am a long time street rider (Kawasakis, more than 25 years) and have ridden 4 wheelers with the family for a few years, but I have wanted a dirt bike since I was a kid. I've only trail ridden one once recently (last fall), and I did a few trails on a friend's dirt bike when I was a kid.

So ... yesterday I picked up a 2004 KDX220 for $800. It came with helmet, chest protector, knee and elbow pads, 2 sets of riding gear, a pair of boots, a set of brake pads and a service manual. Not bad.

The bike is a bit of a project as you might expect for the price, but it is solid, all there, and runs well. It needs fork seals and some TLC to start. After lurking here a bit, I am going to see if it has a forged/Wiseco piston in it (doubtful). If not it will get one soon.

I'll be looking for some parts and selling some of the gear that doesn't fit. I'll also be looking to soak up some of the collective wisdom on the board. Hope to be here a while.

Bill
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

We're here for ya Bill! :mrgreen:

Welcome to the site.... :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:We're here for ya Bill! :mrgreen:

Welcome to the site.... :supz:
Thanks! Love the quote in your sig. It's hilarious.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome! Where in Central IL are ya?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Welcome! Where in Central IL are ya?
Thanks! I'm in the Peoria area - out in the rural "suburbs" around Washington / Morton / Eureka.

I see you're from up toward Chicago? Where do you like to ride? We normally go to Astoria (Brushy Ridge) for day trips.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm in Decatur but from the Peoria area....

We ride at South Fork in Taylorville.... ever been down there? We usually camp out for the weekend....

We need to hook up some time... never been to Astoria so maybe that would be the place to go!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I'm in Decatur but from the Peoria area....

We ride at South Fork in Taylorville.... ever been down there? We usually camp out for the weekend....

We need to hook up some time... never been to Astoria so maybe that would be the place to go!
I've never been to South Fork. Is it pretty good? Astoria is a couple hunnert acres I think. Interesting trails - some challening. They are working to add some easier trails for kids and the like. They have "camping" there too, meaning a grass area to pitch a tent and a portapot.

We've been mostly to St. Joe State Park in Missouri for 4 wheeler riding. Now that's pretty cool. Great camping there.

We'll probably head to Astoria in a couple weeks when I get this bike gone through. I'll try to post something and see if you can make it.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

South Fork can be really good or really bad depending on rainfall and quad ratio.... It can be so sloppy you can't make it through the woods. or it can be just tacky enough that you really have a good time or it can be a dust bowl. Just depends on the rainfall... it has rained allot this year. We went Memorial Day and it was a sloppy mess. We didn't ride a whole lot, just mainly camped out and drank beer. It was fun though...

I have always wanted to check out St. Joe's.... the website makes it look really cool!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Actually, that sounds about like Astoria. It can be soup or dust. Most times the trails are well groomed but some time maintenance slips.

St Joe is awesome. 2500+ acres and a lot of different types of riding conditions in one place. It's worth taking a few days and going down, for sure.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
rattlesnake_06

Post by rattlesnake_06 »

Im in southern Illinois and St Joe is awesome. Have either of you two ever heard of Lincoln Trails in Casey Illinois.
All coiled up ready to strike
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No... sure haven't... are they nice? How much land? What does it cost? Do they have camping? :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Nope ... I haven't heard of the trails either but used to know some folks in Casey. We have some Belgian draft horses and my wife's family used to show with these folks. What are the trails like?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Welcome! Other side of the brown brown river from ya, here. And, I am Inda's Sister-in-Law. Casey looks awesome. Thanks for the tip!

Enjoy!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
rattlesnake_06

Post by rattlesnake_06 »

We are headed there in the morning will let you know all about it!!!!!We run all over ridin St. Joes multiple times (because it is that good) and Little Egypt in Harrisburg. Thers plenty down here oughtta give em a shot. All i have been to they have all been worth the drive, the worst thing about em is leavin!!!!
All coiled up ready to strike