HELLO FROM OKLAHOMA

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
cmot

HELLO FROM OKLAHOMA

Post by cmot »

Hi, I'm an older racer type riding with son now. And I love my KDX/KX.
I scored a 89 KX125 that had 1 season riding time before someone pulled the engine. I got a wealth of parts from this bike. The forks are much better than stock as with the shock and spring, brakes, wheels/tires.
even the swingarm is the same size as a 90 to 94 kdx200, but one inch longer . I plan to try this to see how it affects stability and turning.
As is I allmost hate to change anything, its that perfect.
I've had a few riders of newer bikes shake thier heads and say it justs feels right, How did I do it? But the mods are so extensive on my bike I can't give them a single thing to make thier bikes be the same.
Fredette comes the closest by interchanging KX's with KDX's.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome to the site cmot!

Why not just swap the motor instead of swapping parts? To me, this seems like the most logical approach. I know the fuel capacity would suffer.... but beond that....

Don't forget to post some pics in the gallery...we love to see hybrids!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
cmot

Post by cmot »

Hello, thanks for your reply. This site looks very interesting. The 89 KX125 has quite a few bracket differences that Inhibit this and also don't come with some of the eng. protection frame fittings. It does have a removable alum subframe. This is a mod I plan to do though or get a newer kx and tranfer parts. I have a 93 KX perimiter frame and I was not impressed with its strengh, the kdx frame looks stouter. I've ridden some newer KDX's and would have to basiclly do the same mods to make them a worthy mount. I'm a mechanic/tinkerer and the bolt on mods are not enough for me, They are just a good starting point.

Cmot
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Cmot..
I have weighed the conversion myself with the newer frame style and have determined (for me) that a motor swap wouldn't give me what I wanted but a frontend swap would.
The KDX's wheelbase and ergo's are perfect for the woods and the only thing I had a problem with was the flimsy forks. So I solved the problem with a 03 KX frontend. The little bit of weight I could save with a KX frame swap was not worth it. If I need to shave weight.... my body is the best place to start! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the site. Do you own a KDX plus the '89 KX125? The shock may have a stiffer spring and be a little longer, but internally it should be very similar to a KDX shock. I am not 100% sure what you have and what you are trying to achieve, but if you can give more information, I think we can help some on you achieving whatever your goals are.

Thanks.

EDIT: I saw your bike in the gallery. Are you saying you put 1989 KX125 forks and shock on your 1989 - 1994 KDX? Those forks look like '89 KX forks. Come on! Tell me what you did to your bike. It is a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I am curious. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Welcome to the site sounds like you have a neat bike. Where in OK are you from? I live in Muskogee right now but will be moving back to Stillwater in the fall when school starts back up.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
cmot

Post by cmot »

I live near Arcadia just outside OKC. My bike is a 90 KDX with the 89KX front end and shock ect ect. The front end is everything KDX's lacked through the years as well as the stiffer spring and 1 inch longer rear shock. It does give it a tad more ground clearence. Also as a added bonus was the abilty to reverse the handle bar mounts forward, It tracks through tight woods like its on rails. The rear wheel is a 19in.off the KX also.

I found the 89KX125 in Tx. with one season ride time on it. I assume someone yanked the motor for cart racing. The factory clear stickers on the front downtube still look like thier brand new. Every seal and bearing are still allmost brand new and fit the KDX without any mods. The swingarm other than being one in. longer has the same linkage and arm needlebearings.
I may give it a try. It should be a bit more stable at desert type speeds.
I just got done refreshing the piston and ring and power valves. And I put a new clutch in it. And a new pipe. I also put a KX125 2 petal reed cage with some carbon fiber petals in it that takes some modification but boy did I like the results. I modified my own head with mainly just smoothing/edging and polishing but I paid particular attn: to matching the upper and lower port casings. That usually makes the difference between a normal good running motor and a screamer that pros look for. Without going to racing fuels.
Thanks guys and I will be adding more pics of our riding areas. and my up and coming son, He's 10yrs old . We have Sky Coopers place here. :grin:
But I havn't been there yet we have a more local area. But I do need to get up there, it's suposed to be really nice. And 1 hr away. :mrgreen:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for explaining your modifications.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128