New Owner (UK) an ’83 250 Air-cooled!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
TheDktor

New Owner (UK) an ’83 250 Air-cooled!

Post by TheDktor »

Just joined up, after acquiring this little beauty which was sitting in a friend’s shed for many years:

Here it is, how I got it.

It had been stripped down for a frame respray probably 10 years back, and not been used since. So the frame in A1 condition, and the rest of the chassis in great shape for a 1983 bike, very little corrosion and lots of grease on important parts.

Main bits back together and a quick clean up of the worst dust and grime:

But you may notice all manner of different shades of green and blue(?), exagerated even more when the flash went off!

I have since split the cases (pics will follow) to check over the internals, but the main problem is bad piston rattle, which needs a replate and new piston at about £130 for each! So still pondering that.

I thought originally its not a “classic” as such so not worth spending too much on, but since getting the bike interest in it has been amazing - fellow bikers lust after it and want it!!

More on the rebuild etc soon. For interest, other bikes in my garage include a Montesa trials 349 (’80) and a WR450 and XR650

- Steve