16hr round trip drive and one happy kid!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
ckpc

16hr round trip drive and one happy kid!

Post by ckpc »

New owner of a 2002 KDX 220. I've been looking for a bike for my son for about 6 months but they are not easy to find in good condition here in NorCal. By mistake I happened to see a bike in Oregon that looked too good to be true. I thought about it for a week then called the guy and he assured me it was in the condition he had stated. Long story short I drove 8hr.s one way spent 30 min.s looking at the bike loaded it up and drove 8hr.s back..a bit crazy but the bike is exactly what I was looking for!!I seriously don't think the guy ever rode it. Here are a couple shots of the bike and our drive.
Mt. Shasta!
We did stop along the way home so he could ride it!
The new bike at it's new home!
Bike is fantastic, starts with two kicks, still has the little nubs on the original tires!!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Nice and clean! Now that you know the way to Southern OR, Northern CA you've gotta come back for a ride... :supz:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
ckpc

Post by ckpc »

Seriously the only mark on the bike was a dent on the pipe which he claimed to have done knocking it over in his garage. No rust anywhere on it and the air filter had minimal dirt on it. The plastics didn't even have any scuffs on them!

If I could have made a weekend out of it believe me I would have. The area from north of Mt. Shasta all the way to Bend, OR. was fantastic. Furthest north I've been with the bikes is Stonyford, most of my trips have been in the Sierras and of course the local areas around the Bay Area. I will be back!!!
07 TE 510
02 KDX 220
06 TTR 125
06 KLX 110
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Nice bike!

Your son will love it.

The 220 is perfect for a growing teen. It is very easy to ride in stock form with great low end power delivery.
'
GS

Post by GS »

Very shiny! Great thing to do with / for your son.
PS: Hair looks like my youngest :lol:
ckpc

Post by ckpc »

Believe me I'd have cut his hair long ago but with a 14yr old what ya gonna do?? hahahaha I think he has come to the conclusion that long hair is a pain in the :butthead: and he has said he is cutting it before school gets out for summer. I'm not pushing him to cut but I have told him I can't believe he is comfortable stuffing all that under his helmet. He's a great kid and if hair is the only issue I consider myself lucky
07 TE 510
02 KDX 220
06 TTR 125
06 KLX 110
GS

Post by GS »

Yup, my experience with kids / hair EXACTLY. I looked the same at that age....small potatoes.

That 220 looks like a great find....a tractor in disguise!

Have fun!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Welcome to the site!

I got my 220 the same way;
I live in Placerville and bought it in Compton out by the LAX airport. The guy owned an airframe manufacturing plant and bought the bike to ride with buddies on a week vacation to Utah. He rode it 3 years/3 weeks, then sold it to me! Ha!

When you are ready, let me know and we'll take a trip to Oregon to ride some real trails. I'm heading up there in a couple weeks. Canyncarvr is the host.

See ya!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
ckpc wrote:Believe me I'd have cut his hair long ago but with a 14yr old what ya gonna do?? hahahaha I think he has come to the conclusion that long hair is a pain in the :butthead: and he has said he is cutting it before school gets out for summer. I'm not pushing him to cut but I have told him I can't believe he is comfortable stuffing all that under his helmet. He's a great kid and if hair is the only issue I consider myself lucky
Our son went through the long-hair phase. "Phase" being the key word. He will be 17 in December and what got him to cut it was martial arts. It wasn't long enough to tie back (not that having a ponytail in a such a tough sport had anything to do with it) but it also wasn't short enought to stay out of his eyes while someone was swinging at him. Your son will be fine. Just remember the days. (Granted you are in your 40s like me.)
Sweet ride! Welcome to the site!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'd kill right now for hair like that. Any hair actually. Enjoy it while you got it. Sooner or later stress takes it's toll and what doesn't fall out will turn thin and gray. Wow! Now I'm depressed! Thanks! Damn kids! Stay off my lawn with that thing!!
Now get rid of that before you put your eye out with it kid! Ha!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
barryadam
Supporting Member

Re: 16hr round trip drive and one happy kid!

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
ckpc wrote:Long story short I drove 8hr.s one way spent 30 min.s looking at the bike loaded it up and drove 8hr.s back..a bit crazy but the bike is exactly what I was looking for!!
Congratulations. The bike looks fantastic. Worth the drive, for sure. Plus you took your son and made a memorable road trip out of it.
The future riding time together can make a significant difference in both your lives. Have fun together.

What's the Husky that you've got?
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
revodrew
Supporting Member

Post by revodrew »

WOW! That looks like a clean machine.

Funny how I think guys who own KDX's take phenominal care of there bikes. I just bought a 1990 KDX200 and it still has the original graphics on it and they are almost perfect. 20 years almost and still look great. I took it to my mechanic and he was amazed at the condition it is in.

The only problem it has is a small leak in the rear shock seal. We are tearing it apart next week to fix it, but the motor, sprokets, chain, and plastics among other parts are in amazing condition for the year.

KDX owners are among a differant breed it seems!
2007 YFZ450 Bill Ballace Edition
Hiper CF-1 Beadlock wheels rapped with Razor1
Houser +7/8 STem
FASST Company Flexx bars
Pro Filter
Yoshi RS-2 slip-on
Custom Quadbuiler.net graphics
GYTR Nerfs
PRM Summitt Bumper
Pro-Armor Skids
Maguara Hydro-clutch

1990 KDX200
FMF Full Exhaust
Renthal Sprockets
Arai Knucklebuster
Alot more that I dont really know what it is, this is my first bike! LOL
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Late to this....but...

Curious...did the PO have the Certificate of Origin for the bike? Had he titled it thru DMV?

Happen to run the VIN thru OSP?

Mind saying what he wanted for it?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
ArkansasXC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ArkansasXC »

Nice bike! That thing is SUPER clean.

I drove 20hrs straight to get my last bike so I know where you are coming from. I dont know if I would do it again. 10hrs there and 10 back. I did not stop to sleep. I was just ready to get home with my new toy.

That was pretty great of you to stop and let your son ride it on the way back home. :supz: