JD from NH

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
JD

JD from NH

Post by JD »

Hey guys, I am returning to the sport after a 15 year hiatus. My last bike was a 1989 YZ250 that I sold in 1990. :sad: . So my KDX (which I bought new in Nov of last year) is the first proper dirt bike I've thrown a leg over in quite some time. Thankfully the skills are coming back and I get faster with every ride. And riding is something I do as often as possible - even if it's just a quick 20 miles after work.
My KDX is an 04 200 which, other than jetting, is completely stock. I will be doing the usual mods over the course of this season - starting with new fork springs (way to soft!).
I must say that this board impresses me much more than DRN, for the respect everybody gives each other (though I'm a BIG fan of good natured ribbing!) and for the quality of information. I hope this doesn't change.
Thanks for the great forum!
-JD
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Gday and welcome over JD. You are spot on about the atmosphere here, totally relaxed and respectful. A 20 mile ride is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I haven't ridden for over 14 months due to surgery and a 1 mile ride would be a blast for me. Lots of info about springs lurking in our members heads just waiting to be busted out, so ask away.

Grap a beer, kick ya shoes off and relax !!! :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Glad to be the first to welcome you JD! There's plenty of ribbing here to go around. Seems there's a bunch of us guys getting back into the sport. I jumped back in about 3 years ago after more than 15 years away. What a way to recall my youth!
As you probably know by now, there's several guys here willing to try anything to find out what works best with the KDX. Some of it gets pretty strange but it's all knowledge in the end that we all benefit from.
Jerry
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

skipro3, you have just been out-typed. :grin:

Welcome to the site, JD! It is definitely more relaxed here. There aren't any ads, you can see all the pictures for free and you CAN say eBay, but you will learn to put up with stuff like that. I know it will be hard to adjust to, but hang in there. :grin:

On your modifications, you didn't mention it, so I will ask. Have you read any of the threads or posts that mention that the KDX comes with little grease in the suspension linkage when new? You may want to check those areas.

There are many posts on here about changing fork springs, and I can't recall ANYONE saying, "I hate these stiffer springs. I am going back to stock." :lol: You will love the stiffer springs.

If you have any questions, ask away. We may not have all the answers, but we will always try to help.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

JD - Welcome glad you found your way over. Take some time and read the previous posts and you'll have a good start on knowing how to get your KDX running strong and keeping it that way. You got questions, we got answers...

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Glad to be the first one to welcome you aboard, JD. :wink:

You're aware of the lack of proper lube used in assembly of these things? You can save yourself a lot of $$ later by taking it apart and greasing it (suspension linkage, swingarm bearings, steering head tapered rollers) now.

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
JD

Post by JD »

Conditions in New England being what they are - up a hill, down the other side into mud, up the hill, down into the mud, repeat. Ride in the rain. And in the snow at times. The very first thing I did (well, second thing. I just had to take it out for a spin when I got it!) was tear the linkage (and swingarm) apart and grease it up good. Did it again last week. Grease is cheap, bearings are not. I'm going to hit the steering head this week when I have the forks off to change the oil to Mobil 1 ATF. I figure I'll flush a good bunch of crud out now, and then when I change the springs I'll change the oil again. Should get most of the stock crude (oil) out of there.

And Kay Dee Exer, I hope you're back in the saddle soon!

Cheers,
JD
'04 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I musta missed you posting... that's not like me! :?

Welcome to the board JD... I'm glad to be the first one to... wait...that's been done! :lol:

Glad to have ya JD!

Indawoods :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "