Hey !

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
ben herr

Hey !

Post by ben herr »

My name is Ben Herr . Really. Just getting into dirt riding. Like many of you it sounds. 52, llama rancher, firefighter. Been riding road off and on most of my life, but learning to ride dirt is an absolute blast. Have a 85 200 I revived from a basket case. Also, just got a 05 220. In the process of greasing it, .38 springs, and just getting used to it. Will be putting on Gnarly pipe, TC 2 exhaust , V Force 3 reed set-up, and eventually RB carb work. Any other suggestions? I am learning a lot just reading everyone's posts. Oh yeah, I live in the foothills of Colorado. :grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome Ben!
Sounds like you are getting a pretty good handle on things.
Have you done any jetting yet? That's the biggest bang for the buck! If it's stock... I can almost guarantee it is rich...'specially in Colorado! Give us a holler if you have any questions.... And again, Welcome!

Indawoods :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Nice to meet you Ben!

You have us pegged!!! We do seem to lean toward the more "mature" rider who's returning to a sport they once loved and had to forsake for a time. (Mature cronologicly only, we tend to see ourselves as the 19 year olds we once were. Although I'm glad to see some young blood starting to find their way to this site!)

Check out the members list. There's a few from your neck of the woods prowling around the board here.

There's only one rule: No lurking, you must join in the conversations. See ya on the posts!!! Jerry
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
ben herr

Post by ben herr »

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, the dealer used #135 jet , taking the altitude into consideration.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the kdx.woodsrider site. It sounds like you have already read up on most of the common modifications. One other to read up on would be the cracking 220 pistons and a swap to a non-OEM piston.

If you have any pictures of those two bikes, please post them to the gallery. I would like to see that 1985 KDX200.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

What Jason are you sick ????? You forgot GET A MANUAL !!! :lol: Jus jokes.....
But seriously get a service manual and the 220 suppliment if you don't already have one.

Gday from Australia Ben, this site and it's inhabitants should make you feel very welcome and right at home. They are an exceptional bunch of guys ready and willing to help us all out in any way they can. Enjoy your time here and congrats on the 05, she'd be a different machine to her 20 year older brother. :partyman: Take care Trev.....

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

ben herr wrote:Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, the dealer used #135 jet , taking the altitude into consideration.
Boy! That's bolder jetting than I have the kiwi's for. You must be running that bike up around 8,000 feet or so?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Hey Ben, Welcome!

Riding around the mountain passes is a blast. One thing you should consider if you do the RB carb mod is send your head along to get modified. I didn't and wish I had. Folks say it makes a big difference especially on the 220's cuz they have low compression, and the altitude we ride at makes it worse. Anyway, hopefully it'll quit snowing and we can get up there and get dirty, but I guess it dumped another foot today.

You might want to armor up your bike a bit. I put a skid plate, pipe guard, and the big thing-- real bar guards on it. The bar guards have paid for themselves many times over in insurance co-pays alone, not to mention broken levers and throttles LOL.

Ski, it's not uncommon to hit 12,500' or even higher on some of the trails here. I even saw a rider on the top of Mt. Bross when I hiked it, I think that one is 14,300' or so.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
ben herr

Post by ben herr »

Thanks. What's a good source for pipe guards?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Jetting, then Suspention, then power mods IMO....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I got my pipe guard at Performance Cycle in Denver for something like $35.00. It might be the Moose one. It's pretty stiff aluminum that you form around the pipe and attach it with 3 big hose clamps. I like it, it's taken some good whacks and hasn't bent at all. I think http://www.rockymountainmc.com has them. they fit all pipes.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

One other thing you might not be aware of... When you change your springs, make sure you pull the forks off and get the pond slime they call oil out of them. This will require sliding them out of the triple trees, so if you haven't yet put your Colorado OHV stickers on where they want you to, don't. the stickers get destroyed when you pull the forks. They want them on the fork tubes between the trees. Mine had what looked like cooking oil in one leg, and grey-green gelatinous goo in the other. Very nasty. My bike is less than a year old, so yours is probably the same way.
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

FRP has fiberglas guards for both the torque and the rev FmF pipes. Don't ask him for a 'gnarly' pipe guard though! He won't know WHAT you're talking about! :wink: Gnarly is a reference to construction materials..not pipe profile.

Ski: I'm glad you put 'mature' in quotes. I was about ready to say somethin' smart-aleck at 'ya!!

Any other suggestions? Yep. Send your head into RB when you send in your carb. Ask Ski about Ron's work on 220 heads used @ elevation.

Don't ask me...I dunno what happened............(double post)

Re: '..stickers get destroyed'

Yeah...same as the Oregon sticker. Use a piece of schedule 20 (thin) PVC pipe. Cut it longwise and you can snap it on and off as often as you like (fork maintenance and such). If some pencil-pusher insists that it be attached...don't split the PVC.

I have a piece of such plastic that actually used to be sold by some outfit..I forget the brand name...but it's the same idea.

Beats peeling the thing off the forks. Sure beats buying a new sticker!!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:53 pm Apr 25 2005, edited 3 times in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

FRP has fiberglas guards for both the torque and the rev FmF pipes. Don't ask him for a 'gnarly' pipe guard though! He won't know WHAT you're talking about! :wink: Gnarly is a reference to construction materials..not pipe profile.

Ski: I'm glad you put 'mature' in quotes. I was about ready to say somethin' smart-aleck at 'ya!!

Any other suggestions? Yep. Send your head into RB when you send in your carb. Ask Ski about Ron's work on 220 heads used @ elevation.

Welcome aboard!!

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

CC, that's a damn good idea on the sticker tubes. Too bad I just put my new ones on the forks again like a retard :oops: . I hope to get much smarter next year.
Mike

'04 KDX220
ben herr

Post by ben herr »

Thanks guys. Excellent recomendations! :supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A note on the FRP guards....

Don't know what they are painted with...but as paint, it's worthless. The first time you wash your bike the paint is probably coming off.

I repainted mine with Krylon Fusion. It's held up real well to repeated power-washings. I do have a spot showing through...but something else got on it at that place. Still...I've washed the bike dozens of times since I painted it.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Several guys in California have been sited for putting their sticker on the PVC method. See This site:
http://www.ama-d36.org/cgi-bin/cutecast ... hread=2060
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The end result as I see it is:
BigBird wrote:
Dave Pickett, read the riot act to the ranger when we found out about it, and the ranger is apparently making sure the stickers are returned to the riders, unless the sticker is found not to be valid or belong to the bike from which it was removed.
Like I said...'..if some pencil pusher..'

Look at the stupidity of it all. If the rules say 'securely fastened'...that has squat to do with 'irremoveable'.

We have the same crap going on up here. Who wants to put some ugly florescent pink sticker (the current Oregon color) on their bling-blinged bike or quad? And the Oregon stickers DO come off. Take it to a car wash a few times and you'll be buying a new sticker 'cuz you'll blow it off! Folks up here put 'em under the seat, put them on 'license plate' looking frames..all sorts of stuff.

The proof of the pudding (being that this particular set of rangers are dickheads) is the guy that HAD his registration with him! If there was some issue of stolen machines...the boob ranger could have merely checked the numbers.
UnkleMoose wrote:I told him that you rangers are baseball umpires you all different rules on your rulkes. You guys better get together and read your the rules, then I went past him to sound and the start.
sic

Ha! That and a boot up his butt would've been good.

oh...BTW..I didn't say HIJACK! when I adulterated this thread.

Sorry. :cry:

Consider the source