New guy from So. Nevada

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
tommyd
Supporting Member

New guy from So. Nevada

Post by tommyd »

Greetings from Vegas! I have a 95 KDX that I've never even sat on before. I bought it with a bad stator about three years ago from a friend who needed money and it's been sitting at a another friends shop ever since.

I bought a KLR 650 a couple months ago and it's lack of... Um... offroadability has me ready to tear into the KDX!

I also want to make it street legal so I might be hitting some of you up for advice after I look around on here some.
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Welcome, tommyd!

you've got some great riding areas in and around vegas. kdx=offroadability, so what are you waiting for???
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

I'm waiting for the holidays to be over so I can spend money on me!

There are great places to ride near Vegas but there aren't any in the Vegas Valley. It's against the law to make dust, even on your own land.

Luckily for me I live 25 miles out of Vegas so I just have to get out of town. That's why I want to make it street legal.

There is also a huge area called the Arizona Strip that I want to ride but you have to be street legal on most of it. It's the part of AZ above the Grand Canyon that's cut off from the rest of the state. I've explored there quite a bit in 4x4s and I can't wait!
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Hey tommyd, I'm in Boulder City too and just joined here a few weeks ago. I don't even have a KDX yet, but plan to get one real soon. Nelson Hills is my favorite place to ride near here, but there are a lot of great areas.

I'm getting over some health issues which has kept my riding to a minimum the past year or two. I'm eager to get back to basics with a KDX as my big bikes can be a handful in the tight stuff.

It's pretty easy to get a plate here in NV. as long as you have the proper equipment. http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/equipreqmc.pdf I got my Husaberg and Husky 610 plated pretty easily. You just need to get the proper form from the DMV, which is a brake and light verification form, have a dealer check it off, get a VIN inspection and of course have proof of insurance.

As far as equipmen, I don't have any expierence with the KDX, but I've read that the stator doesn't have great output. My Husky is like this and I've found that using and LED tail light and turn signals help in this area because they use very little power.
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

Whats up Don? We know some of the same people. I even met you once in front of the bike store. I'm the guy with the Samurai.

From what I hear you can probably still outride me even with health issues! :supz:

If you are looking for a KDX I know a guy who can't make up his mind about selling his. I could find out. I was hoping to buy it some day. I thought it would make a good spare bike for friends to ride since they are so user friendly. He used to be a bike mech so it should be well taken care of. I was with him when he bought it and the previous owner was an old guy that never had time to ride it.

I know what you mean about big bikes being a handful. My KLR is a wallowing pig but I have plans for it. My g/f lives in Palm Springs so I really need a bike that is good on the highway but I want to make it work better at high speed back road stuff. I've been riding with another guy with a KLR all over the Mojave Preserve but it's mostly sightseeing and a little too slow paced for me. I really like putting on some miles and I have cousins near Castaic Lake who ride a lot and I want to ride to the places they trailer to.

I wanted to get a do it all bike but I don't think one exists. For what anything new that I like costs I could fix up both bikes and buy a trailer so that's what I'm gonna do!
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Hey Tom, small world. Kelly told me you got a bike. I've got a couple big four strokes, but want to get a small two stroke for some of the riding I like to do in CA and UT. I also think it would be a good loaner biker for some of my friends who visit with less riding experience, they usually want nothing to do with some wierd 600+cc bike with a left side kicker.

I had a real clean Yamaha XT225, that Kelly used to ride, but she quit riding and it was too small for me so it's gone. I'm not in a big hurry to get the KDX as I have to spend a little cash getting my ATK 605 back up to speed after a street crash. :oops:

If you ever want to go on a short local ride look me up. I avoid riding with those nutty super fast guys like Abro anymore, I hate slowing them down and know I'll hurt myself trying to keep up.