Bad weather in Idaho?

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
OverTheHill
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Bad weather in Idaho?

Post by OverTheHill »

I'm another green (in more ways than one) Idaho rider. I'm amazed at how similar my story is to others - taking the sport back up after 20+ years. Maybe it's a "boomer" thing.

I pulled my 83 DR250 out of the shed and soon found that I no longer enjoy kicking it. Bike shopping time! I went shopping for a thumper with the majic button and wound up with a new KDX-200. A convoluted story involving limited money, jerky salesmen, and fond memories of my old Combat Wombat.

I did the 30 mile breakin per the manual, changed the oil, and headed for the hills. What a rude surprise! I'm not the man I was 30 years ago and this bike has no low-end grunt! :oops: I was about ready to take the bike back to the dealer and make the best deal I could on a 300 when I found this site. Thanks.

I know, I know - I tried to order the manual but the Kawa site was down for maintenance.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome!
A KDX with no low end grunt? HA! Boy are you in for a suprise when you get it up to snuff. :razz:

If you are sitting stock...then you have a little money to spend my friend. Not anything that you wouldn't do with any other bike today.

1. Jetting it right is crutial.
2. Get a FMF pipe (Woods or Rev) depending on what you like to ride. Woods gives you grunt.
3. Get some tires that hook up. (Stock tires suck)

All the info you need has been discussed probably, but ask anything if you want to know. We will answer and not send you searching... :wink:

I have a manual for sale in the for sale section if interested... save some bucks.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
OverTheHill
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by OverTheHill »

If it's the current shop manual that explains doing the break-in service (head, cyclidar, piston, re-ring) then I'll take it. How do I get the $ to you? I've got VISA, MO, cash.

I've emailed RB Designs about his carb. and head mods. and he replied on a Sunday. What a guy! Is the FMF Woods pipe what he recommends? How about the Q silencer?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

First off welcome to the site - You'll find the answer to your questions here. A new pipe and silencer will be major boost in the perfomance of the bike. Get RB to work over your carb and head and pick up a Vforce3 and rejet for the altitude/riding conditions and you won't be thinking its got a lack of power anymore.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Welcome abaord. Like already said get a manual, re-jet the bike or get a RB carb, put a pipe and reeds on it and you won't be sorry. You will also have to probably stiffen the front forks up with XR400 springs so its not so soft. Cheers and take care..... Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Check your PM....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Glad you are joining us!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Hello and welcome! I am one of those who took 20+ years off and re-discovered the fun I was missing. Morie's suggestion is what I would have said, but he already said it. Those mods will transform the KDX's power. Read up on the old post about anything Ron Black (RB-Designs) has done to the carbs and heads. Then the fork springs. Then about the DF3 reeds. Then...the pipe stories. Oh the pipe stories! You will find that this site has the answers to your questions.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

Follow everyone elses advise. Also toss the stock airbox lid, and change gearing. You live in Idaho, so you know that the terrain around here is pretty steep. I went with a 12-47 I've thought about a 12-50 at times. To be honest with you, most of the 4 strokes and 300's don't really make much more lowend than your kdx already makes, or is capable of. The woods pipe is a better pipe for my type of riding, and depending on where you are at ( been to Boise quite a few times, and riding types seem to come in a variety) probably would work great for you. The rev works great for more open and desert areas, but also adds a touch down low, as the woods adds a touch to the tops. I don't have the rb mods (yet...) or the df3 (yet) but the bike has done me well. I was hooked almost as soon as I threw my leg over it. If you head this way let me know, we'll do a ride if you are interested. Also, there has been talk of a westerners group ride. Good way to have some of the gurus give you advise and let you compare mods.
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Over-the-hill - Welcome aboard!! Always good to see additional Idaho people find this site and for sure you will ensure the KDX
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
cmot

Post by cmot »

Welcome I'm also new here, but I've never stopped riding but I have gotten slower. You are allready getting tried and true advice so all I'll add is visit Fredette's website and he allready has the perfect basic addons and exact jetting give or take for alltitude. The great thing about KDX's is mod-ability and durability.
I come out of tight woods hard banked corner in 2nd or 3rd nail it 3/4 throttle and the front end trys to climb to the next coner. Enough Grunt.
Good luck........ :supz:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...