Hi from Indy

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
IndyCJ

Hi from Indy

Post by IndyCJ »

Hey all,

This looks like a GREAT site, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

A little about myself.

40 yo, married, with a 5yo and 3yo. I bought my son a PW50 last year, and he's started riding it, and I thought I better get something myself. LOL

Picked up an '06 KDX off the showroom floor about a month ago. Never owned a dirt bike before, but my neighbor (who is a Sales Manager for one of the larger Bike shops in Indy), got me a good deal, and is helping me out.

Heading down to Brimstone end of September to ride with some buddies.

Uh, I think the only things I think of the bike so far...

1. I'm 6'5" and 240 lbs (although started a diet, goal is 210). My neighbor has taken me riding with him a couple of times, and said that I must 'stand' on the pegs. Uncomfortable!! The bars seem to need to be up about a foot! (I'm 6'5", but have a 33" inseam, all my length is in my back, which makes it easy to buy pants, not so easy to buy nice shirts. LOL )

2. I followed the break in procedures, and am at the part where kawa says to take apart the motor to inspect it? Are they kidding? I'm fairly mechanically inclined (built several Jeeps from scratch), but taking apart a perfectly good running motor to inspect it seems a little 'off'. What do you guys think.

Anyway, again, great site, hope to learn alot!!
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Welcome, I am from outside of Gary. You will love the bike and you should try to ride Haspins Acres outside of Laurel IN. You will get used to standing on the pegs and it will save you long back after a tough day of riding and your weight over the bars will actually make it easier to control. It takes a little time to get comfortable but it will happen.

I have never owned a brand new bike so I cann't help you out there, other than to tell you to get a manual and keep these guys informed they know alot and will talk you through just about anything.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If it's a 200... no worries on tearing it down... not needed. If it's a 220... change out the piston early to a Wiseco and save yourself some sleepless nights.

Welcome to the site... sorry about your registration issues! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Inda, the 220 was not made for 2006. This means he has a 200.

Welcome to the site!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I always knew those 220 wouldn't last! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

:mrgreen:
IndyCJ

Post by IndyCJ »

Thanks guys,

Yea, it's a 200. I'm glad I don't have to tear it down, not that I'd 'mind', I just thought it kind of silly to do, although since it said it in the owner's manual, I was like 'WTF'.

Anyway, so at least I made sure and double checked before I actually took it apart. LOL I've got the plastics off and tank out anyway to change the plug, and basically see how everything is 'put together'. Like I said, first time owning something like this, so I'd like some familiarity.

No problem on the registration issues, I understand completely!

I'm out.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is one thing that is a PIA... but should be done before you do any riding... and that is tear down the steering head, swingarm and grease the P-Wa out of them.... this will save you cursing later.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome to the site!!!!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
gunner

Post by gunner »

Hey, I'm new to the site, and ride a KDX250 1992 version. My riding buddy has a 200. We live in Bloomington. You should go out to Haspin Acres to ride. Been there twice, nice woods trails. See my entry for more details.
KDX250-D2
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Gunner Welcome
Rick, Jeb, CRF, his son, Ricks freind Andy, my brother and I went there last year Haspins is great. I try to go every year. Great place to ride and knock a few back after dark. Rick and I also have 250s. I would say you should get hold of them. I don't think I will go there anytime soon as I have a 5 month old and the wife isn't sick of me YET. Isn't there somewhere by Bloomington to ride I think I saw it on the IN DNR site. I usually ride in Attica which is about an hour south of me. Now that you and Indycj are here you should have a group ride. I can try to leverage the wife with a "group" ride.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Get a babysitter and take the wife with you.

:mrgreen:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Her idea of "roughing it" is Super 8. She wont even let me take her on a 3-wheeler ride so her riding a bike is out of the question. I even told her about you riding it didn't sway her at all.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

indycj
i live in the area. contact me when the weather gets better and we'll go riding.
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

She is missing out. I will take the tent, the fire, the stars, the bike, and the leaves ( :lol: ) ANY DAY over a Super 8! Guess it is all in how I was brought up.

I really can't wait until Spring!! (Kinda rode once in the snow this winter and got a little excited. Had to get off the bike 'cuz I didn't have enough room to experiment with what I have already learned.....damn!)
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't overlook Inda's suggestion. You will save yourself $100s in parts if you take the bike APART stem to stern and grease everything. Use a waterproof grease akin to BelRay's product.

Set your shock sag. At 240#, you're pushing the 5.0 kg/mm spring the bike comes with. You will likely find NO free sag when your race sag is set to a reasonable (100mm) amount. THAT will give you handling 'issues' you won't get resolved without getting the correct shock spring.

Same for the front. While the shock spring will be close...the fork springs are WAY puny.

If you have the hankering (or get one) to improve the performance of the bike..start with the suspension.

Cheers!!...and welcome!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!