Howdy fellers...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Howdy fellers...

Post by Colorado Mike »

Glad to find this site, the other one was getting kinda silly. I'm 47, got back into riding last year after about a 12 year layoff from trails and 25 years away from MX. I got my trusty ole KDX 175 dusted off and freshened up and hit the trails in Colorado with my buds from the office. Most of us are old and creaky, but there's enough offspring riding with us to entice us into trying to go a little too fast. That's what pushed me over the edge into picking up a brandy-new 220. Let me tell you, it's a whole different ride from my old one. Sure, it needs a little tweaking, but I'm amazed at how you can get into some nasty stuff and just roll on the throttle and let the suspension soak it up. I was looking hard at the KTM 300, but I think the KDX might be a little more realistic for my riding ability, and a lot cheaper too.

It sure is a blast to get up in the mountains and peck around all day with your friends, I'd forgotten how good it is. Most of them are riding 4-strokes, but I still like what I'm used to.

So far, I've put on: a skid plate, FMF torque pipe and guard, bar guards, Wiseco piston, sent my carb to RB, and I'm waiting on a DF3 reed assy. I still need to swap out my fork springs, and probably oughta rig up a radiator brace.

The weakest part of this bike is the nut on the handlebars though. Toward the end of the season I skillfully did the crash-test dummy thing into a big boulder at a good clip. I'm thinking one of those steering dampers would have made it a near-miss, but never rode a bike with one. Ended up breaking a couple ribs, but the bike was fine.

Well, thanks for reading and happy trails,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hi Mike!
Most of us in here are old farts (by todays standards) and have gotten back to what we love. After the bar scene, women chasing and trying to figure ourselves out... we come back to the things we love. Riding dirt bikes as a young kid sticks out in my memories more than anything else I have ever done.

I had one of those fancy KTM 250EXC's a few years back after riding my trusty 85 XL350 for a few years... It had to go after I almost killed myself on it. I realized that this was way to much bike for me to get back in the game on. Unless you have riden close to the KTM potential for a few years, I would not suggest getting one. They are a hand full and very uncomfortable to ride. The fun factor is there but you better watch where to draw the line.

Tough break on the ribs... I feel for you and your right about the stabilizer, one of the best investments I have ever made. It really inspires confidence and makes riding so much more enjoyable because your not getting deflected everywhere.

These days, I'm into comfort and not fouling plugs because I don't have the throttle pinned all the time. To me... The KDX is the most perfect dirt bike on the planet... bar none!

I hope you can feel at home here.... Your the reason I created this site.
Indawoods :wink:
Last edited by Indawoods on 12:06 am Mar 02 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome to the site Mike. Glad you made it over. Get cracking on getting the front end resprung, it will make a big difference in the way the bike rides. :grin:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Hey Mike, Good to have you here. I think this has got to be the oldest ol fart dirt bike site in existence. But dang there's some right smart ol farts here!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Hey Bradf, I used to live in Snohomish, well my address was considered that, I lived closer to Maltby. I used to like to ride out near Sultan and Gold Bar, and also go up to Sedro Wooley. It's a lot different down here. Sometimes you get this stuff they call "dust".

Take care,
Mike

'04 KDX220
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Get Outta Here!!! I work on top of the hill at Canyon Park. Reiter Pit (Sultan, Goldbar) is now the helicopter medevac training grounds. There is always a 4-wheeler being airlifted to Harborview from that place. 2 dead in the last 5 years. But if a person loves rocks that is a place to go. I will never go there on a weekend. Walker Valley (Sedro) is by far some of the gnarliest trails that I, and many others, have ever seen. There are new ones being cut every year up there and some are just downright trials trails. I have never been so glad to see the fire road as I have been up there. If you road these places you know how to ride. Wouldn't it be great if this sport was like golf and we could throw our bikes into checked baggage and go ride CO, AZ, CA, OR, NV? Or W.V. Hatfield McCoy? I'm sure there would be some oddball that would want to ride...the midwest. :wink: No offense Inda!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

bradf,

LOL, Sounds like that area has grown up. I haven't been up there in 12 years or so. I tell my buds what it was like climbing up on a wet slippery 4' diameter log laying across a trail and snatching your bike up over it. You don't get that kind of thing down here. We used to really have to help each other up in the Great NW. I hear you on the riding different areas, it's always nice to get a change of pace. I want to head out to Utah sometime this year. You take care and stay dry.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

bradf wrote: I'm sure there would be some oddball that would want to ride...the midwest. :wink: No offense Inda!
I NEVER said this is where I want to ride. But it's not bad either.... would rather get up in those mountains or out in the desert (not dunes) 'cause sand sucks on a bike! Eats chains and gets in everything. I will get out there soon ... bet on it!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
DirtRoller

Post by DirtRoller »

Welcome Mike, I'll be 47 this year also... life is good when you still can get on a bike and ride all day. I would like to see pics. of the areas where you ride... just to droll over.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Right now we're all waiting for the snow to clear, but I want to get some good pix this season. I'll post some for you guys.
Mike

'04 KDX220