I'll start here I guess...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Wazowski

I'll start here I guess...

Post by Wazowski »

When I was a young lad 30 years ago my FiL gave me a '64 Honda C77 305 Scrambler in a basket. I spent a few years getting it into riding condition and have been riding it on the trails at our cabin in eastern Oregon ever since.

Last year I finally got serious about riding in the trails above our country home cuz it just a few blocks up the road to get to trails that lead all the way to Mt Hood 60 miles away. Well what kind of bike would I need?

That old scrambler beat me to death all those years so when I rode my son's brand new 220R and told me that he only paid 4200 bucks I was surprised to say the least especially since his cousin just dropped 6500 bucks on a new Yamaha 450 four stroke. Around these trials that don't account for much! The KDX has no problem keeping up for about a third the price. Now THAT'S value!

I didn't even want to spend 4 grand for one so with some help from my son my wife found a two year old KDX for 2700. Still stock with just a few hours on it and running great I snapped it up (my...birthday present...my preciousss!...)

I can only compare my KDX to that old Honda but guess what... I LOVE THAT BIKE! Wow...big bang factor for your buck and I can lug it around all day like that old 4 stoke Scrambler and grab a big handful on the straights on the way home and be grinning all the way.

No it doesn't go on and on forever...it tops out around 70 but for this old guy (52, over the hill and picking up speed!) it's light enough and nimble enough that I don't miss that old Honda much anymore. I take my wife for rides on it cuz it sounds cools and turns heads as a classic but...the ride sucks!

Anyway enough about me. I am looking forward to some good incite from all of you who have been riding for years, the KDX gods... :prayer:
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Welcome. You will find a few of Oregoniens (sp) here.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome to the site... the best advice I can give to start out with is... If your KDX is a 220... replace the piston if it hasn't already been done. If it's a 200... you'll be fine for years to come. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

I've heard this before...even the Owners Manual sez to tear down the head and throw the ring away as part of the "break in". What's the truth of the matter?
Last edited by Wazowski on 12:23 pm Mar 09 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
radonc73 wrote:Welcome. You will find a few of Oregoniens (sp) here.
Yes not the least of which is the famous Ron Black I see. My son has left his KDX in my garage, torn down, soon to have the RB mods re fitted.

That gives me an idea! :twisted: I think I can swap plastics/graphics and let him put the mods on MINE! He he! Do you think he'd notice the difference?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The truth of the matter on the 220's is that the pistons as they are cast...tend to come apart. It is wise to replace it with a Wiseco or Pro-X piston...not a stock replacement.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:The truth of the matter on the 220's is that the pistons as they are cast...tend to come apart. It is wise to replace it with a Wiseco or Pro-X piston...not a stock replacement.
Sounds like good advise. I'll check on doing that while my kid has his torn down, Thanx
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:The truth of the matter on the 220's is that the pistons as they are cast...tend to come apart. It is wise to replace it with a Wiseco or Pro-X piston...not a stock replacement.
I was under the impression that the stock and pro-x pistons were the same... I know for a fact that the pro-x's are cast at least on a 200... So is it or is it not safe to use a Pro-x on a 220?
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Personally... I would use a Wiseco...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

xagentman

Post by xagentman »

It is frighting to think that the piston could come apart.... seems like a very detailed tear down. anyway.... welcome to the site dad... did you really think you could post about stealing parts off my bike and not have me see it? HA!... I might let you ride it when i get the parts back from Ron. :)
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
xagentman wrote:It is frighting to think that the piston could come apart.... seems like a very detailed tear down. anyway.... welcome to the site dad... did you really think you could post about stealing parts off my bike and not have me see it? HA!... I might let you ride it when i get the parts back from Ron. :)
And I might let you use my tools to put it back together!! We'll see!

Great site so far...thanx for the tip!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Welcome to the site . . .

When I first got my 220, I did a bunch of looking around and there's quite a bit of evidence indicating that the OEM pistons fail.

A Wiseco is cheap insurance . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:Welcome to the site . . .

When I first got my 220, I did a bunch of looking around and there's quite a bit of evidence indicating that the OEM pistons fail.

A Wiseco is cheap insurance . . .
Can you take a guess at when it happens? I have had no luck with a search for "bad pistons" etc. I know that when I first start mine cold I never wrap it up right away...I accelerate slowly for a quarter mile or so before grabbing a handful a going out on the trails. This gives the piston a chance to heat evenly before being put under load. Does it cause any other damage? Sleeve maybe or head? I'll continue to do a search, Thanx for the Wiseco tip!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

The OEM pistons are flawed, and some to the point where they fail (that's what I've gathered). I've seen stories where there's been a failure very early on, where it's been after so many miles, and failures occuring after modifications.

Do some searches like "220 oem piston" and "kdx piston", ect.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
GS

Post by GS »

Wazowski:
My 1999 KDX220 piston came out of the cylinder intact and without any sign of cracking, but I can tell you that it was the poorest quality piston I've ever seen. :shock:

So, while I could have ridden longer, if the quality of OEM pistons is so inconsistent and just down-right crappy, it is anybody's guess how yours will do. The cost of a failure is quite severe, while the replacement expense and hassle is not all that bad. Not such a bad idea to get intimate with your mount either !!:roll: ....and I meant carb/cylinder/KIPS!!!!

But, just so you know, the castings are crappy, even though mine lasted several years! Be careful with the cylinder coating......while quite hard, it is easily "dented" by sping-loaded inside micrometers :neutral:

Father/son thing: If you don't at least maintain the prospect that you're capable of trickery, they'll start to think you're just getting old! :wink:

By the way, I can relate to that old Honda of yours, have a '83 cm250...with belt drive and saddlebags...and a '84 XL600 that have been a big part of delivering more fun than I could ever adequately put into words. At times and in the right place, they were simply the perfect "medicine" for me!!
They also taught me that the real secret to riding relatively quickly is ...s m o o t h n e s s....

Cheers!!

Greg :grin:
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:Wazowski:
My 1999 KDX220 piston came out of the cylinder intact and without any sign of cracking, but I can tell you that it was the poorest quality piston I've ever seen. :shock:

So, while I could have ridden longer, if the quality of OEM pistons is so inconsistent and just down-right crappy, it is anybody's guess how yours will do. The cost of a failure is quite severe, while the replacement expense and hassle is not all that bad. Not such a bad idea to get intimate with your mount either !!:roll: ....and I meant carb/cylinder/KIPS!!!!

But, just so you know, the castings are crappy, even though mine lasted several years! Be careful with the cylinder coating......while quite hard, it is easily "dented" by sping-loaded inside micrometers :neutral:

Father/son thing: If you don't at least maintain the prospect that you're capable of trickery, they'll start to think you're just getting old! :wink:

By the way, I can relate to that old Honda of yours, have a '83 cm250...with belt drive and saddlebags...and a '84 XL600 that have been a big part of delivering more fun than I could ever adequately put into words. At times and in the right place, they were simply the perfect "medicine" for me!!
They also taught me that the real secret to riding relatively quickly is ...s m o o t h n e s s....

Cheers!!

Greg :grin:
Thanx for your help, advise and understanding! I'll give it this season to crap out...I don't ride that much...and tear it down over the winter (other famous last words!). I ride hard maybe once a month in eastern Oregon. We are planning a ride or two at Browns camp this year too, father/son-and-his-buddies thing. It sounds like I may be sorry but I've got more money than brains anyway...and mechanically inclined to boot!

Besides I can always fall back on that old Honda if I really have too!