Another nu 1

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
MY KDX 220 R

Another nu 1

Post by MY KDX 220 R »

Hi
The name is Rod.
Recently returned to the great sport of dirt biking along with my son's first intro.
I am the proud owner of a '05 KDX 220 R ( less than6 hrs on it )
My son has the DRZ 125, don't hold this against him, it was my decision as it was a brand new '04 for $900.00 less than new , this is the same bike as the KLX 125.
As a former South African that has been in the States for 7 yrs, love the Country, people and of course the dirt biking community.
I have not had the opportunity to get deep into this site, but the intro given by Vincent was pretty persuasive,

[/b]
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hi Rod,
Glad you signed up ...there are alot of great guys in here with tons of info. If you gotta question... don't hesitate to ask!

Indawoods :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Rod - Welcome to the site. Pull up a seat and do some reading. There is lots to learn about your KDX...and lots to modify :mrgreen:

-Maurice
Last edited by m0rie on 11:26 am Feb 26 2005, edited 1 time in total.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The first mod you will need to do if you haven't done it yet.... Change your piston to a Weisco. The stock pistons come apart in the 220's. :wink:

If you want more info on this... ask in the Q&A section.

*** I know... not what you wanted to hear. :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
MY KDX 220 R

Post by MY KDX 220 R »

Thanks for the welcome.

Yep, have heard the news about the piston.
Iam thinking about gutting my stock pipe, read alot about it on the "other site".
What I more than likely will do is, ride a few more hrs to get the feel of things and do all the fluids the Wiseco and the pipe mod'.
Any suggestions as to the main jet, Iknow this is contentiouse subject, confirm, confirm, confirm! ( after gutting the stock pipe)
I have just finished greasing the two bikes, after doing both bikes I am still amazed that the suppliers can get away with sending out new bikes with dry axles and linkeages.
Thanks again ( nice mod on the scooter Vince- gallery.)
KEEP IT REAL!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I sent a stock pipe to a guy once who gutted it, he said where it did perform a little better than stock... It wasn't worth the effort to do the mod. Take that for what it's worth. Most guys just buy a pretty and shiny new FMF Woods or Desert pipe with matching silencer and never look back.
Most run a woods pipe, but a few of us run the desert pipe with great luck... me being one of them.

You should probably ask the jetting question in the Q&A section and provide the elevation, temps and such to get a good ballpark. I don't know much on the 220's other than piston issues.... sorry.
Thanks for the props on the bike too....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. No one knows everything and everbody knows something, so we can all learn from each others questions.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Welcome aboard. And as Jason would say "GET A MANUAL" :lol: if you don't already have one.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
MY KDX 220 R

Post by MY KDX 220 R »

Thanks KAY DEE EXER,

Good to see someone from the same hemisphere that I came from.
S.A. - I have learnt to mix with a couple of good Kiwi's, swapping rugby and cricket scores. A good mate has invited me down to Florida to do some riding, not met too many Aussies riding here yet, but am sure the will be found if they're here, either riding or in the Pub.
Keep it Real!! :partyman:

PS. Do you know a site where I can order a Manual (Bible) for my '05 220? Am sure the '04 will do but have not had much luck so far.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

My buddy, (member wsjkawasaki) just ordered a service manual for his 1997 KDX220. http://www.ronayers.com sent the 2005 edition, which has a part number ending in -08. There is also a 220 supplement manual that goes with it. He had it, too, but I forgot to check the part number on it. He also got the Assembly & Preparation supplement manual as well (KAY DEE EXER was spot on about my "get a manual" badgering) :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

First of all, welcome to the site!

I ordered my service manual from my local Kawa dealer (before I knew of all of these online sites), and I think it was in the $30-40 range.

You will also want to tear down and grease certain areas of your bike, namely:
- swingarm
- Unitrak linkage
- steering stem (upper & lower bearings)
...because Kawasaki doesn't put much grease in their new bikes. Go ahead and do this before you put too many miles on it.

You should also consider:
- bark busters (the mushy guards that came on your bike won't hold up against a tree!)
- frame guards (your boots WILL wear the paint off quickly)
- radiator guards (for the inevitable game of 'tree tag' :shock: )
- skid plate

All of the other hopups are great and fun to install, but personally, I consider the previous list as safety equipment. Well, I did after I realized I needed them!!! :shock:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
MY KDX 220 R

Post by MY KDX 220 R »

Thanks for all the welcomes and advise, it really is a good feeling to be part of a community like this.

The advise is really welcome as I have been out of the game for so long.

Thanks again.
KEEP IT REAL!!
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

TN! Wow, you are one lucky man. No better place to be than in Tennessee... Okay, the TN boyz will take the majority votes from here on out. :razz:
2001 KDX 200
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Welcome and hope you find us at least entertaining if not helpful. We are a motley crew and not approved by moms anywhere.

It's great to hear your interest in the sport includes your son. I have a philosophy on that: You can spend your money on interests with your children or you can spend it on family therapy. The first is much more successful than the second choice.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Welcome!

Riding with your kid is fun....it gets a bit irritating as time goes on...and he passes you...then leaves you behind. :wink:

There's some mud someplace you can throw at him I'm sure!

I sometimes ride with a kid like that. From a kx65 (or somesuch) to a couple other bikes to a 125KTM...the little snot has come a long way from not being able to shift out of first gear to screaming @ WOT most of the places he goes...in 5th.

It's been fun watching him 'grow up'.

Have fun!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!