Hello!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Hello!

Post by quailchaser »

I was directed to this site by a post on Southwestdirtrider.com by Dave04KDX. About a year ago I decided to re-live my childhood and pick up a KDX220. I've enjoyed both the riding and the tinkering. Learning to ride on 6''-18" wide trails has been a blast. I look forward to spending some quality time here!

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Glad you found the site. Lots of good KDX info here.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the site.

Good job, Dave.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Welcome Robb

You will find a great bunch of guys with a lot of KDX knowledge on this site.
I bet we have ridden with a few of the same guys here in Az. Hope to meet up with you on the trails someday. :supz:

David
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Look forward to seeing some great Azirona (sic) riding pics in the gallery!

Welcome!

Now then...what's the KX fork setup you're going to use? :grin:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hey chaser... you snuck in there on me! :lol:

Welcome to the site and enjoy yourself...

Indawoods :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Thanks for the welcome!
Now then...what's the KX fork setup you're going to use?
CC,
Actually, I like the conventionals...except for the overhang. What's not to like, when your short and light and make "C" riders look like the pro's compared to your riding. I think that money would be better spent on things like a set of those sic "Barbie" graphics. Or maybe the RB head and carb mod.

David,

I'm pretty new to the moto game, so I haven't really ridden with a whole lot a folks. Most of my riding has been in NW Phoenix. Hope to catch you out on the trails. Maybe one of the AMRA races?

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nice albums in the Gallery Robb!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
MY KDX 220 R

Post by MY KDX 220 R »

Welcome Robb,

I'm sure you will feel as "at home" as I was made to feel when I joined recently.
I am quite new to the cyber thing and have just purchased a new pair of FLY Talon boots on-line, all being said new things are just great.
Interesting pipe what is it.. like your attitude with the comp' and GPS, like to lay my hands on some of that.
:cool:
KEEP IT REAL!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... that GPS is the bomb... where did you get the mount?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Indawoods wrote:Yeah... that GPS is the bomb... where did you get the mount?
Thanks. Still an "in the works" project. I had been putting the GPS in my camelback and just logging trails. Unfortunately this makes navigating routes very difficult. So I looked for a way to mount it. Several people (one in particular) on southwestdirtrider.com suggested using a RAM-MOUNT (click here).

I ordered the standard u-bold motorcycle mount for my Garmin GPS 60CS. I had to make a few adjustments to the Arm(drilling and filing) to get it to sit where I wanted it to. Then I rode one ride with it and crashed...broke my thumb(still in a cast)...broke the GPS, bent my bars and trashed one of the aluminum bark busters. I tossed the 7/8 alum bars and decided to go with a fat boy setup (I seem to be good at bending bars). With the fat bar set up I was able to move the GPS to the other side and lower it to what you see in the pictures. I need to replace the Ram mount ARM and re-adjust it to work in it's current position. Should work well where it's mounted now.

The downside...what am I going to do when I find the $$ to put on a steering damper? :? One of those probably would have prevented my last get-off. :roll: I'll have to call Scotts and see if they can do a fender set up for the KDX.

MY KDX,

The "pipe" is PC platinum 2. The silencer is "NOS" Answer something or other spark arrestor. Bob's used cycle in Phoenix has a ton of discontinued NOS stuff. I think I paid about $70.

Sorry for the extra lengthy reply. 3 more weeks and I can ride...well, I will be allowed to ride...my ability is still very debatable.

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I did some research on the GPS thing.. (Can't help myself) but anyway... they don't suggest you carry your GPS on a dirt bike with the handlebar mount. Something about the batteries being dislodged and losing your waypoints. They suggest you carry it in a pack on your person. Have you ever had an issue with that Robb?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Indawoods wrote:... they don't suggest you carry your GPS on a dirt bike with the handlebar mount. Something about the batteries being dislodged and losing your waypoints. They suggest you carry it in a pack on your person. Have you ever had an issue with that Robb?
I wonder what the guys running the Dakar would think of that. I guess if you wanted to stop every so often and check to make sure your still on track it works well. I found it exceedingly hard to make waypoints with it in my pack. After a ride, I would go home and download the track into the software and try to remember where that Jeep crossing was, or that cool ST that split off. It will be much better when I can stop for 2 seconds, hit the waypoint button and make those notaitons and then move on.

Also, I wanted to use mine for navigation. There are several areas that we ride in that are easy to get turned around in. Plus, I wanted to duplicate certain "loops" without relying solely on my poor memory. That was one of the reasons I choose the 60CS. The e-trex models seem to have more of and issue with the batteries. There are ways to fix that though. I had my GPS come off the mount once...Yikes. It gets zip-tied on before a ride. Since I'm out of commission for a short while here, I'm working on a steering damper setup. Not sure exactly what yet, but when I do, I'll post some photo's of the ride ready set up! If you have any other Q's fire away. Maybe our last few posts should be moved to the Q&A section?

Alright, I'll give "they" a break. There is a downside to mounting the GPS to your bars. They are much easier to break sitting on your bars.

Later
Robb

P.S. cool site!
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC