New from New York.

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
KillDozer

New from New York.

Post by KillDozer »

Hi everyone, Have'nt been riding for a bout 6 years and missed the fun. Rode about 15years before the layoff. Was searching for a low cost decent bike and found 89' KDX 200 for $600. It's in pretty decent shape but everything is stock on it. I used to ride 500cc and 250cc 2strokes mx bikes.
I was surprised this little bike had as much power that it has, but realize I really could use more power.

Anyways I think an aftermarket pipe might help it out. Been checking out e-bay for pipes haven't seen many for this year. One I did see was DG national pipe. I'm wondering if anyone knows if these pipes work good?

Thanks I'll take some pics soon and post them.http://tinyurl.com/y2w2ey
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome! $600 is a good deal if everything is mechanically sound. Read all the posts, most of the information on the 95+ 200's also applies to the 89-94 KDX 200's as well. An aftermarket pipe will greatly help the power output. That DG should work fine. If your handy with a welder you can cut the stock pipe apart and remove all the sound deadening material and then weld it back together. It will be a little bit pinger (but no louder than an aftermarket pipe) and perform pretty close to an aftermarket pipe. The stock silencer is a little heavy but very quite if repacked and is a spark arrestor. New reeds would be a good upgrade as well if the stock reed cage and reeds are still on the bike. 607 power reeds are cheap and really help with the throttle response and overrev. Also KDX's notorious for being jetted pig rich. If it still has the stock jetting (160 main, 48 pilot, #6 slide and a funky kawi needle (R1173k if I remember right)) then your going to most likely need to lean it out a couple of jet sizes. If you want a more MX like power delivery you can get a keihin CGK needle and run it in the 1 or 2nd clip position. If you want an idea of some other mods that can be made click the link in my signature and take a look at my bike profile. I've got an 89 200 just like yours and its significantly NOT stock anymore :lol:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Welcome!

A 'new bike prep' routine would be good. Chances are pretty good there is some grease needed somewhere!

Take apart the rear suspension, swingarm and steering head to see what's what.

M0rie can get you all the right scoop on the 'E' series.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KillDozer

Post by KillDozer »

Thanks Morie, I wasn't aware of the pipe having that material inside. I'll have to take it apart and look at it. Was checking out your bike , I like your mods. Also liked your
pics of you riding in the sand. Looks awesome there. Wish I had some good riding like that around here. The government around here is busy locking everyone out of the good spots.
http://www.putfile.com/markstewart/images/69893
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

welcome!
Look nice
Are you going to tear it down and check everything before you seriously ride it? the grease is probably a must do

Welcome again :supz:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Dozer i'm in the town of montgomery, we'll have to ride sometime.
Welcome!