de-tune a kdx?

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
danfree

de-tune a kdx?

Post by danfree »

I'm just learning to ride. Purchased an xt225 for that purpose, but would like to get a more dedicated "trail/ offroad" bike. Even though I am a bit old (44 yrs), my goal is to participate in and finish an enduro event someday. My research leads me to believe that the kdx would be ideal. However, I was wondering if the 200cc motor can be tuned in such a way that low rpms (for extended periods) won't damage it. Or maybe riding at a level that would keep the KIPS valve closed. At least until my confidence and skill level increases. I have a family to support, so trying to minimize risk is a necessary responsibility. i.e. experiencing the 2 stroke 'hit' at an inconvenient time. From what I gather 4 strokes may be better for beginning riders (which is why I have the yamaha), but I don't really want a 4 stroke off-road bike. I like the simplicity of maintaining a 2 stroke.
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

find a stock kdx 200 and ride it i think you will be satisfied with the way they run all through the rpm range you can lug them around at low rpm and that 2 stroke bang is not as intimidating as you might think
06 200H

GALLERY!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome Dan!
Dekalb eh? Howdy neighbor!

The KDX is tame and runs very well in the low RPM ranges.... it will do as little as you want it to do without hurting it.

As far as the 2 stroke hit... you have to want to get into it for it to happen on the KDX. That's why it's so rider friendly.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
danfree

Post by danfree »

Thank's alot guys. That's what I was hoping to hear. Now I just have to find one for sale around here.
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
danfree wrote:Now I just have to find one for sale around here.
I have one for sale and New Mexico is very lovely this time of the year!
:grin: :grin:

As others have said, the KDX really doesn't have much hit. I have the Desert pipe on mine and it does have some hit, but nothing uncontrollable. Put the stocker or a Woods pipe on and it's Smooth City.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Two words: Throttle Control. Also as mentioned the kdx will idle around all day so no worries there.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A KDX will suit you fine.
..tuned in such a way that low rpms (for extended periods) won't damage it.
More like JET it in such a way.....

A brand new bike off the showroom floor would likely not like running for extended periods of time without some deleterious effect...plug foul most likely. Still wouldn't hurt anything, but might prove inconvenient. Especially if you don't happen to have a spare plug with you!

No problem. A KDX is not a handful of useless power. It will putt all day with no worries whatsoever. The 200 lends itself somewhat better to performance improvements over the 220, if that's the direction you might be going. The 220 has a grenade for a piston free of charge when it's new. At the very least, a 'newer' 220 would have to be checked to ensure the OEM PRo-X piston had been replaced.

Considering the known and proven reliability of the KDX and that it CAN be a lot of fun without a whole lot of money thrown at it, I think you're headed in the right direction.

Jet it properly, keep the OEM 'B' sloped needle in it, you will love it.

A useless anecdote:

Rode last weekend with a 14yr old kid that just got a 220. He was itching to get a 4-stroke, as he liked the decel braking of a 4-stroke. We rode about 100 miles. He said he changed his mind. 'I LOVE it!' he said. His bike was relatively stock..had a pipe on it, but no carb mods, hadn't been tuned particularly well, suspension felt pretty 'new' (not very good). HE loved it, though....and 100 miles is quite a bit, considering he hadn't had much seat time with it prior to last Saturday.

If I didn't like the KDX a whole lot, I don't suppose I'd have had one for the past 6-7 years and quite a few thousands of miles. So...do consider the source...but for the woods, I don't think you can beat the KDX for value..and FUN!!, too!!

Welcome to the site!!

44 years old! HA! Another punk kid on the block..... :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
wezza83

Post by wezza83 »

PREFECT TRAIL BIKE! I LAUGH AT OTHER 2 STROKES WITH FOWLED PLUGS! HAHA (I HAD TO GET 2 PLUGS FOR MY BUDDY ON HIS CR 250)