new member from st louis

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

new member from st louis

Post by TopperHarley »

Just purchased an 05 KDX 220R. Got a fairly good deal on a showroom floor leftover from 2005. My first bike was a 1981 KDX 175. I was 13 yrs old and was the envy of all my neighborhood BMX and dirtbike buddies. I loved that bike, It took me everywhere I wanted to go and then some, even with a passenger.OK, so now im pushin 40 and doin it all over again. Only have had the bike a week. Adding some goodies and upgrades. skid plate, front disc protector, handlebars, levers, grips,FMF knawrly woods pipe w/fmf arrestor. Apparently I will need to re-jet. I will definitely be needing some guidance in this area. Any install a Dial_A-Jet on their KDX?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome to the site Topper! With a aftermarket pipe your certainly going to want to rejet to realize the full potential of the pipe. I'd recommend getting a wiseco piston kit for your 220 as well. The stock piston has a problem with coming apart and doing a lot of damage. Cheap insurance to change it out and not have the problem. Other things to consider would be new reeds (Boyeson 607 Torque Reeds are a good choice) as the stockers are pretty much junk. Also re-springing the front end with heavier springs is pretty much a necessary item unless you weigh 135lbs!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Welcome Topper,

I had one of those KDX 175s . After sitting unused in my garage for around 15 years, it started on the second kick. I guess it wanted to make sure I knew it was ready to get moving again :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Go with the Rev Pipe not the Torque on the 220. 2nd go to http://www.rb-designs.com for your dial a jet thingy :wink: wiseco piston swap is insurance, plus its a tad lighter, VF3 Reed Valve is awesome. The power reeds were OK, but the VF3 is snappy, crisp and rolls on GREAT. Get rid of those stock tires, go with a 756, s12, m12 or D952-I'll have mine on wednesday. Also, swap those springs out of the forks and get them set for your weight or convert to KX frontend.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Green Hornet, The pipe I have is an FMF knarly woods. How does thais one compare to the rev or the torque pipe you mentioned. Is this pipe worth installing? I think I am going to break in the engine stock and then do the Piston, RB carb and head mods, reeds, pipe etc. What is the price tag on a KX front end conversion?
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
toddco

Post by toddco »

The woods is the Torque pipe, you will want the rev but a lot of people have the woods and like it. the RB carb wont work to its full potential with out the rev per Ron at R&B.I have an 02 220 just got an air striker from Ron. love the bike.welcome :grin:
Heres to us,and those like US! Dame few left.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Run the Woods (torque pipe) for a while and see what you think. If you decide you want more top end/rev out then you can switch and offload your woods pipe pretty easily.

The KX front conversion can range anywhere around $150 to $450 it just depends what your getting and the general condition of the parts. Patience is key in getting the cost down. I've got 96 KX125 forks on my 89 and I got them for $40 on Ebay. Thats not an unusual price if you can play the waiting game. I've seen newer 03 go for $80 it just depends. Generally you can count on rebuilding a set of forks that you get off ebay with new seals and oil at the minimum. Unless they have been revalved and/or resprung your going to end up working on that after you've got some ride time in on them to know what needs improvement. The other pieces you
need for the conversion are Triple Clamps that fit the year of forks you get and a matching wheel and axle (w/spacers) that go with the forks. There is a limited ability to mix and match between years and if you have question on what will and won't work we should be able to give you a yes or no answer on it working. Your stock brake caliper will bolt right upto the new forks. Another thing to consider is that Fredette (FRPoffroad) will generally buy your old front end from you if you go thru with the conversion. In most cases that can give you back a good chunk of money you spent on the conversion.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

As far as the factory piston having a reputation for coming apart and doing damage? Is this very common? Would it not be worth taking the risk of getting some use out of it? Seeing that I have not been on a bike in a while, I will be going fairly easy on it for now. Another question...If I plan on changing my premix from the 32:1 that came in the tank with the bike to Bel Ray H1R at 50:1. Does it need to be weened off the 32:1 or can I just switch over? Will this ratio change require jetting/ carburator adjustments? I really appreciate all input. thanks to all of you and this site, I have learned more about my KDX in a couple days than I could learn in a lifetime of trial and error. When I was 13 and had my 1981KDX, I didnt know much about it. I remember fowling alot of plugs. never went as far as to try to figure out why and correct the problem. I think I even recall running it for a short time with straight gas. Cant beleive it didnt blow up. This time around, I want my KDX to be a work of art to be admired. A well tuned macine, understanding all of what makes it tick. this is probably a silly question but if I am going to use an aftermarket air filter, should I allways use the same brand so I will get the same flow? should I dispose of the stock filter or would it be ok to use it as a spare. I think my own common sense has allready answered that one for me but let me know anyway. thanks Oh and by the way..another greenhorn question. what exactly does the term "PLUG CHOP" mean? and how do you do it. I know it is all about inspecting the the burn characteristics/pattern. But how do you achieve it? Do you use a new plug for a certain amount of time at designated RPM or load? and then inspect? Ok, go ahead and laugh a little at me I don't mind. Wont be long before I will be doing the chuckleing while passing on valuable basic technical information to another proud KDXer.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Topper,

Piston: Do you feel lucky? Some people do, and later end up destroying their complete engine. Others actually are lucky and never have a problem.

Oil: I used that particular oil for a while and thought it sucked. It seemed to gunk up the KIPS assembly worse than the Maxxima oil I use now. Also stunk worser. Others my differ though. (although I know of one highly esteemed KDXr that thinks that stuff will help blow your motor)

Filter: I still use the stock one. When it gets tired , I'll switch to another one. If I needed 2, I would get 2 of the same kind, but you really knew that.

Plug chop:
1)Warm up your bike, like really warm, ridden hard for 20 min or more.
2) Put a brand new plug in.
3) Start up and immediatley go full throttle up into at least 4th gear on a long straight section that will let you stay at 3/4 to full throttle for 20 seconds.
4) chop the throttle as you pull the clutch lever and hit the kill switch
5) pull over, take the plug out, curse yourself for leaving the warm-up plug on the tailgate of your truck, and save the test plug for reading.
6) walk back to truck and drink beer.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Roland C

Post by Roland C »

I'm a little late jumping in on this, but...

Have you checked out Canadian Dave's JustKDX site? Lots of good info there. You can jump there by clicking here.
If you click on "KDX Tech Tips" on the left and then on "Carb Tuning" under the Engine column you will learn lots about jetting.

BelRay H1R is recommended to run at 32:1. I wouldn't run it at 50:1. Don't go any thinner than 40:1. If you want to run 50:1 you should switch oils - I think Amsoil makes a decent one that recommends 50:1.

What kind of riding are you going to be doing? H1R is generally suited to MX'ing (I think) and tends to gum things up a little if you're trail riding and not on the pipe all the time. Just something to consider.

Welcome to the site and enjoy the new ride! :boogie:
'02 KDX200
'00 TTR125L
'02 SV650S
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hey Topper!

Here's what I would do...

Send in your head and carb to RBD (He will jet it pretty darn close) while you swap out the piston for a Wiseco.
Put a FMF "Dessert" pipe on it.
Get rid of that junk rear tire and put a 752 or 952 Dunlop on it.

Oh...and grease the p!ss out of the swingarm and steering head bearings.

And run only full synthetic oil. But do your research and run what you are comfortable with.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "