new guy in Atlanta

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
ftl900

new guy in Atlanta

Post by ftl900 »

After being a street rider (sportbikes) for more years than I care to count, I've jumped back into dirt bikes, both feet first.

Trying to keep our son out of trouble, I bought him a Yamaha TTR125, but then to go riding with him, I got a 92 KDX200. On our first practice session, after riding about 20 minutes he blew his motor. Oh, he was in first gear the whole time, and nobody realized it.

So now I'm looking for a cheap TTR125 motor, or a cheap mechanic to get him up and running, and TRYING to pretend I don't wanna ride the green meanie in the garage. I don't wanna add insult to injury by going riding without him while he can't ride.

Anyway, I'm excited to find this site. been out of dirt bikes for years, and it's just as scarey as I remember it!! :mrgreen:
There are two theories to arguing with a woman... Neither one works.

Bandit 1200, ZRX1100, WR450, TTR250, KDX200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Glad to have ya!

Sorry to hear about your son's motor. Check with a local dirt bike club, alot of times they have a mechanic in the group or someone who may be able to point you in the right direction. Your gonna love that KDX.... :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Have you figured out what blew? Pretty simple motor for a 4-stroke...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ftl900

Post by ftl900 »

I took it to a local guy that's pretty good, and he said it was the crank bearings, but he said it was starting to seize also. So he wants to replace everything from the crankshaft to the piston, and have it bored 20 over.

We're talking at least $600 in parts alone, plus the boring charge, plus the other labor. I can't dump $1000 into this little bike- we just don't have it after buying two dirtbikes, and no gear for either of them yet.

I think I'm gonna swing by and talk to him about what must be done, rather than what could be done. I'm not trying to build a mondo race motor here... I just want it to run again like it did before- a putt around bike for a beginner.
There are two theories to arguing with a woman... Neither one works.

Bandit 1200, ZRX1100, WR450, TTR250, KDX200