Hey there!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Sjaak

Hey there!

Post by Sjaak »

I'm Sjaak, I'm from the Netherlands, and just joined this community.

I bought a 1991 KDX200 a few months back, and rebuilding it now from the ground up because a crank seal blew. I finished the engine (all gearbox bearings, seals, etc. replaced too) and picked up the frame from the coater, so I can actually start building the bike now.

I hope to have fixed the problem of the KIPS by making new collars on top of the valves that barely allow any play (see picture for old and new situation). I thought that the single valve on the right in the picture had too much play when the gap of the collar was facing away from the rod, causing it to chip off teeth from the valve when there was a bit of carbon buildup. What's your opinion on this? Might the valves get jammed when the engine gets hot because the aluminum expands? (Gonna test it first by leaving the valves open and the governor disconnected, and see if the valves still move smoothly after blasting the bike around for a while.)

I found out later, there are steel KIPS valves available, so I'll definitely buy those if this doesn't work.

Thank you for having me in this forum, and I hope we can help each other out! Drive safe! :wink:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Hey there!

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. :bravo:

The frame and engine look nice.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Greenbandit200

Post by Greenbandit200 »

Well you got the right idea of testing it by leaving them stationary while it's warming up. This is the first time I've ever seen custom made collars, though I don't think you will have any problems since the collars and engine should warm up equally at the same time. The only problem I could think of is, if they are too tight when the carbon does build, they have a chance of seizing?
Good luck.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey there!

Post by Molly's 70 »

Looks damn good :grin:
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Sjaak

Post by Sjaak »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Greenbandit200 wrote:Well you got the right idea of testing it by leaving them stationary while it's warming up. This is the first time I've ever seen custom made collars, though I don't think you will have any problems since the collars and engine should warm up equally at the same time. The only problem I could think of is, if they are too tight when the carbon does build, they have a chance of seizing?
Good luck.
I don't think the carbon would be much of an issue, as the valves will keep moving when driving. Considering the governor is able to push hard enough to chip off teeth of the valves, I think it won't let carbon buildup happen. I plan on taking it apart and cleaning regularly too, as it'll always be a weak spot on the bike. Thanks for thinking with me, still something to keep in mind!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Plenty of people have let them go way too long and cake up with carbon. If you keep an eye on it, they will last a while.

You won't find many reports of people buying the bike new, then maintaining it fairly often and they still chipped teeth. Most are from people who bought the bike fourth hand from two or three people who don't know what a power valve is, much less how to maintain it. KIPS was on KDX in fall of 1985, time for those people to step up. :lol:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome!
Sjaak

Post by Sjaak »

Jason wrote:Plenty of people have let them go way too long and cake up with carbon. If you keep an eye on it, they will last a while.

You won't find many reports of people buying the bike new, then maintaining it fairly often and they still chipped teeth. Most are from people who bought the bike fourth hand from two or three people who don't know what a power valve is, much less how to maintain it. KIPS was on KDX in fall of 1985, time for those people to step up. :lol:
Agreed, the previous owner of my bike didn't seem to have any technical knowledge whatsoever. I came across things that'd just have me shake my head while I looked at it. I have replaced one of the valves already because it chipped off teeth. I read the maintanance interval is 2k km? I barely even drove that and it was ruined again already. If this gets messed up again, I'm gonna go with the steel valves.

Another fun thing, I just happened to pick up another KDX by coincidence, a 1980 KDX175 for a price a couldn't just leave it for. It's missing all of the electrics: stator, flywheel, even the spark plug, lol.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Looks pretty darn nice! :bravo: