G'day! - Finally got a KDX

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Jurism

Post by Jurism »

G'day everyone! new to the forums here and thought I'd do an introduction, first of all, I'm based in Queensland, Australia for all you other Aussies who might be on this forum. I've been seeking a kdx for a number of years now but never came across one that wasn't molested (I intended to register it so it needed all the road bits, speedo, ligts etc), I'm all about keeping bikes stock and can't stand fixing other peoples messes, anyway for a while now my search for a kdx was at the back of my mind until a few days ago when my brother stumbled upon something amazing on gumtree (Australia's craigslist) a 1992 KDX250F (SR) completely stock for a crazy price of only $400 AUD which I later got him down to $300 if I came straight away, the guy had owned the bike for 14 years and was sitting for 4 of those years, it was rough and needed a lot of cleaning up but I was up for the task, the bike was also about 350 kilometres from where I lived so I organised to pick it up the next morning, that night me and my brothers drove through the night until 3am where we camped on the side of the road for only a few hours sleep, that morning we made it into the mountain ranges of New South Wales where the guy lived and picked the old girl up, it has seen better days but I like myself a project that needs plenty of work. She only has 10 thousand on the clock, has good compression, got spark so I'm liking my odds so far, I've not yet attempted a start of the bike but that will come in due time after a thorough clean of the bike, the kdx was only missing one part which was the kicker but very surprisingly the kicker off my 79 XL185 fits PERFECTLY I was shocked but it helped me check for spark and compression. I don't yet have any photo's of the bike apart from the sale pictures which I'll post below.

Cheers.

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: G'day! - Finally got a KDX

Post by Julien D »

Welcome to KDXRIDER and congrats on your new acquisition! Looks a bit dusty, but otherwise complete and in decent shape. Sounds like you got a good deal on it. The 250s are somewhat rare in the states, as they were not produced for nearly as long as the 200/220. Should be a fun ride once you get it all sorted!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Congrats on the KDX250. Good luck.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome and congrats on the find. As Julien said, the 250s are a rare sight in the states, and we didn't even get the SR models here. Interesting to see that the 250SR had a left case clutch actuator.
Jurism

Post by Jurism »

Thanks everyone! and yes the design of the SR model has surprised me multiple times now, for the longest time I thought they were a premix system, I come to find out that they are oil injection and the main problem I originally had about registering a kdx was the lack of oil injection because I can't be arsed mixing oil with the fuel every time I stop at a servo but now that changes everything. Any tips / problems I might encounter with the oil injection system? pretty reliable? I had an old dt175 with oil injection and it was flawless, can only hope the same with the kdx.

Cheers.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Welcome!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXRIPPER

Post by KDXRIPPER »

Welcome
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Again, we didn't get the SR models in the states, so no real experience with the oil injection other than second hand from other riders. From all I've heard if it's working it works fine, just requires regular maintenance. We didn't get the injection on the US models...straight premix for us!