Best kdx year for 14 yr old son

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
DR Gossett

Post by DR Gossett »

14 yr old son is 5’10 135 lbs has been riding trails and some track on crf100 for 2 years. I’m wanting KDX200 for him. Saw on a site that the stock suspension on the 89 to 94 models were better for someone that weight plus I think I read the 89 would be a bit lighter and seat highs a bit lower. Not an aggressive rider although competent and learning. May ride gps, enduro or mx some day but not soon. Just want a bike he can grow on and enjoy. Does the 89 series make more sense than the post 95 for the reasons I mentioned before? Springs, weight and seat height...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Best kdx year for 14 yr old son

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. :bravo:

One of the differences between getting a 1989 - 1994 model now vs. getting a 1995 - 2006 model now is a few parts are harder to find on the earlier version. In general, people neglect two-stroke power valve systems. The older a bike is, the longer it has had to be neglected. If carbon is allowed to build up, it can damage the teeth on the subvalves. Kawasaki does not sell the subvalves anymore, but a company in UK does. Some may be damaged, Some are not. If you buy a $300 bike, then it is likely. If it looks to be in great shape, then the valves are probably OK.

Weight of bikes is about the same, not going to be noticeable I would think.

Suspension on either would need stiffer fork springs and a lighter rear spring if he is 150 in gear. With him growing and getting faster, you might be able to just run the stock rear spring, but the fork springs are a bit off in stock form.

At 5' 10" seat height won't be too much of a problem starting out. It may seem high, but it is not. Either model is going to be not too much different.

If you see any on craigslist you are wondering about, start a new thread and some people may be able to nit pick a used bike. I know I love to. HA! :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
DR Gossett

Post by DR Gossett »

I got the idea about the fork springs from the Fredette web pg. He said the stock springs on the 89 might need changed out for heavier guys but fine for lighter 150 lbs guys. He said the 95 model springs were more suited to 180 lbs.

I’m a nube on suspension (been riding 3 yrs) but why would I want stiffer front forks when Zach is light?

Thanks very much for the feedback by the way.

I’m tracking about 15 different KDX200s on Facebook so if I zero in soon I’ll give u all a shot. :)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Best kdx year for 14 yr old son

Post by KDXGarage »

I disagree with him on spring rates that he has published.

The stock forks were not sprung stiff enough when they were sold. It's out of balance in stock form. If he puts around, then it will be decent enough. Once he starts gaining weight and speed, then it is even more necessary to get it set up properly, no matter which KDX.

You're welcome.

GENERAL TIP: As bad as a bike look on the outside, it looks worse inside.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128