New member from CA

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
toomanytoys2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New member from CA

Post by toomanytoys2 »

Just wanted to say hello. My current ride is a TM 300EN (Beast), but because I'm getting up there in age, I am probably going to down size to a KDX 220. My son has a 1990 KDX 200 modded, and I would jump on it occasionally, and it just seemed more flickable. So I just picked up (STOLE) a 2005 KDX 220 That has been sitting outside for 5 years (paid $200). Of course the Plastics and the seat were shot, but the guy never rode it. It still had the knubs on the stock tires, and the clear plastic wear strips for boot rubbing on the frame. Took it home, flushed the tank, and cleaned the jelly out of the carb, and it started 3rd kick. So my game plan is to clean it up, mod it a little (I leave nothing stock), then see if I really want to down size. If not, my son gets it, and his best friend gets his 90. More posts and pictures coming soon.
Nothing ever stays stock. 5 dirt bikes, 2 Chinese Buggies - Hammer Head 150, bored to 170cc, cam, P&P head. Joyner Sand Viper 250 - engine maxed out. 1969 VW Baja Bug - bus transaxle, 2010cc engine. At least my wife always knows where I am at - The Garage.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New member from CA

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider. :bravo:

Congratulation on the KDX. Good luck on the build.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

What? Nobody told him to get that stock piston out of it before he cranks it again?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

We must e falling down on the job in our old age :lol:

but seriously, get the OEM piston out of there asap.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
toomanytoys2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New member from CA

Post by toomanytoys2 »

What is wrong with the OEM Piston? Does it break at high RPM, or is it a compression issue?
Nothing ever stays stock. 5 dirt bikes, 2 Chinese Buggies - Hammer Head 150, bored to 170cc, cam, P&P head. Joyner Sand Viper 250 - engine maxed out. 1969 VW Baja Bug - bus transaxle, 2010cc engine. At least my wife always knows where I am at - The Garage.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Metal fatigue

:doh:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

It's a pretty well documented issue with the 220 only. The OEM piston skirts break and cause all kinds of damage. It may last 100 hours and it may last another 10 minutes. Search KDX 220 piston fail here or on other sites.
barefootbob

Post by barefootbob »

Welcome, what part of Ca? I live in Lucerne. I also down sized, got tired of having a 9k dirtbike sitting around and only riding it maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Funny thing is last time I got out to ride I was smoking the 9k bikes on my little KDX. The KDX has a huge fun factor :supz:
Never yield the right of way
toomanytoys2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New member from CA

Post by toomanytoys2 »

I live in Fresno. That means my riding varies between mountain single track, to the Searless Station area of the desert. However, when we ride in the desert, I try and avoid the whoop fields, and look for the single tracks there if possible. In the desert, we usually look for a destination (X15 crash site), I set my GPS for it, and off we go. This Easter, the destination is the Husky Monument. I'm usually the leader, so I have to watch the GPS, look for the trails that head in the correct direction, and make sure the rider behind me is following my route. So its always an adventure, especially for me, trying to do multiple things at once.
barefootbob

Post by barefootbob »

I’ve always wanted to see the Husky Monument, here in Lucerne we have Middle Creek and Cow Mtn, I’m about 30min from riding. MC has flowing trails but has been dummed down for the less experienced riders but still fun and Cow Mtn has some nice single track. Sometimes we go to Indian Valley where we have some nice technical single track.
Never yield the right of way
toomanytoys2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New member from CA

Post by toomanytoys2 »

Jason,

I made a donation to the site. How long is it typically before I can add images?

Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Julien D is the IT department and accounting. He gets it when he checks on the PayPal account to set up the permissions. I am a custodial engineer. :cool: