Noob from CT

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Theducman
Supporting Member

Noob from CT

Post by Theducman »

Hello all, my name is Mike and I am from central Connecticut. I just bought a 97 kdx 220 for a grand. I am currently working on getting her cleaned up and also doing some restoration. I am new to two stroke bike and off road. I am a road racer so I have lots to learn. I hope to make this bike trail ready and looking sharp again (purple accents in all). For give me but I will probably ask a lot of stupid questions.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Noob from CT

Post by John_S »

Welcome to the forum and good luck on the project. The 220 is such a great bike but it's important to start by changing the stock piston if it hasn't already been done. They were prone to crack at the skirt. My top end was about $120 in parts. It's a plated cylinder so if it's within spec and scratch free, you can clean it up with a green scotch brite and be ready to go. New reeds would be good while you're doing the top end work. I would say an account at Rocky Mountain atvmc, a service manual, and a torque wrench will be a good start.
Also read up on 2 stroke leak down testing. It's really important to have an engine with no air leaks.
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

John_S wrote:Welcome to the forum and good luck on the project. The 220 is such a great bike but it's important to start by changing the stock piston if it hasn't already been done. They were prone to crack at the skirt. My top end was about $120 in parts. It's a plated cylinder so if it's within spec and scratch free, you can clean it up with a green scotch brite and be ready to go. New reeds would be good while you're doing the top end work. I would say an account at Rocky Mountain atvmc, a service manual, and a torque wrench will be a good start.
Also read up on 2 stroke leak down testing. It's really important to have an engine with no air leaks.

So the bike has a bigger piston in it. I have no clue what size it is. So once I sort that out, I will order the correct kit.

And thank you for the welcome.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

So the bike has a bigger piston in it. I have no clue what size it is. So once I sort that out, I will order the correct kit.
So, is there an over bore kit for the kdx? I wasn't aware of one. I'd pull the top end anyway just so you know for sure what it is and its condition. If all is good, put it back together with new gaskets and braapp away! If it were mine though I'd put a new piston, rings, pin, top bearings and clips in as a minimum. That way I KNOW what I have. Plan on having to grease every bearing you can get to and quite probably replace some, especially the linkage bearings which tend to be ignored. These bikes are economical and reliable as hell, once you start from a good base. 10:1 the KIPS valve is dirty as hell too.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Be sure to measure the piston, check the bore, etc. Eric Gorr used to (might still) offer a 223cc bore and port service. It was offered as a "225".

It might be something similar or someone had it bored and sleeved. It could be 240cc. Just measure carefully before buying anything
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

The bike motor was built years ago here in ct. It was used than parked for 12 years. I last owner use to race it in NETRA hare scrambles.

My buddy said its time for a top end soon, not in dire need yet. So I might try to ride it a bit. I have been ordering parts like its my job
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You're hired. :grin:

Good luck on the new job.
tropicoz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tropicoz »

Wait a minute.....have we shared the track together?!?! This is Rich from OneUp racing, but I’ve “retired” lol. Welcome to the forum!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forums.
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

tropicoz wrote:Wait a minute.....have we shared the track together?!?! This is Rich from OneUp racing, but I’ve “retired” lol. Welcome to the forum!
Mike from BT1R, so have I, according to the wife lol
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

Jason wrote:Be sure to measure the piston, check the bore, etc. Eric Gorr used to (might still) offer a 223cc bore and port service. It was offered as a "225".

It might be something similar or someone had it bored and sleeved. It could be 240cc. Just measure carefully before buying anything

So the previous owner told me the motor was built by shop here in ct. The suspension was also set up for someone weighing 200lbs. I'm 205, so spot on.
Burtono

Noob from CT

Post by Burtono »

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will make it up to Thompson dam once it's all together and they open.
Theducman
Supporting Member

Noob from CT

Post by Theducman »

Burtono wrote:Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will make it up to Thompson dam once it's all together and they open.
Would love to . The guy who I bought this bike from, used it all the time at the dam
Burtono

Noob from CT

Post by Burtono »

Would love to . The guy who I bought this bike from, used it all the time at the dam[/quote]

I will keep an eye out for you I have the same bike with a Gnarly pipe on it. It is unstopable there put it in 3rd gear and forget about it. Although I do wish it did not sign off so early on fire roads. But I could not justify losing any of the bottom end and making it harder to ride in the woods.
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

Mine has a fmf exhaust on it, I assume it's the same one as you
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

So I found out my fmf exhaust is a bit bent :evil:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

not sealing properly?
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

So I had a broken exhaust mount. I bought a new one, installed it, now I noticed that nothing will line up
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Loosen all the mounts, fit the pipe, then tighten.
Theducman
Supporting Member

Post by Theducman »

I did try that, but for got about the damn springs