Hello from the Florida panhandle

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
ITracerMike
Supporting Member

Hello from the Florida panhandle

Post by ITracerMike »

Hi, I am 48yrs old and am getting back into off-road riding after 20+ years away playing with mountain bikes, sports car and starting a family. I am not new to two stroke motorcycles and always liked the low end torque of the KDX platform when I rode with friends who had them in the late eighties and early nineties. I recently picked up a nice 2004 KDX220 with original top end and was in overall good condition. This site was one of the first I found when researching my purchase so I have already replaced the factory hand grenade piston with Wiseco ( the wife thought I was nuts tearing down a bike I had only ridden briefly at the sellers place) and while I had it apart replaced the reeds with Boyesen 607's. Thanks to the admin's and other contributors for such valuable information.

Previous rides, '78 RM80,'80 RM80, '83 CR80, '81 RM125, '85 YZ125, '90 CR250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Hello from the Florida panhandle

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider. Congratulations on your KDX220R.

I will sit back and wait to see how long it will be until someone tells you to replace the stock piston if you haven't already. :razz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome back to the sport!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Congrats on the new-to-you 220. Looking at what you owned previously, I'm guessing it won't be long before you are racing that KDX! Do yourself a favor now that you've already replaced the piston. Get the suspension set up right for your weight and riding. Best money you can spend (other than that piston of course!).
ITracerMike
Supporting Member

Post by ITracerMike »

doakley wrote:Congrats on the new-to-you 220. Looking at what you owned previously, I'm guessing it won't be long before you are racing that KDX! Do yourself a favor now that you've already replaced the piston. Get the suspension set up right for your weight and riding. Best money you can spend (other than that piston of course!).
Thanks. Next project is linkage disassembly and relube, suspension fluid change, fork valve stack mod , rear shock inspection and recharge and of course new springs all around while I'm at it. I've picked up quite a bit of weight from both muscle mass and mid-40's flab that puts me quite a bit heavier than the target rider so the suspension is very soft at present. No more MX racing for me though I've already been invited to ride on a local private track.
ITracerMike
Supporting Member

Post by ITracerMike »

Thanks for the welcome everyone. In my absence from the sport I see rider gear technology has come along as well as bike technology. I am probably a month away from being able to ride at the local state OHV park ( registration and suspension work) and I am overwhelmed by the choices in footwear that are available now. I promised my wife I would not ride until I had the proper gear so my next purchase will be a decent pair of boots. Does anyone here have recommendations for a good enduro or woods boot? How about Alpinestars Tech 1 All Terrain boots?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

"No more MX racing for me though I've already been invited to ride on a local private track."

Who mentioned MX. Lots of good enduros and hare scrambles in your area. Good bike for those.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Welcome to the forum. Im also from Florida but down in Sarasota. I just picked up a set of the Alpinestars Tech 1's with the all terrain sole. These replaced a pair of 2009 or so Fox F3 Race boots that I never really liked. The tech 1's get good reviews and although I only have two rides on them so far I love em. I wear a 12 and ordered a 13 and glad I did. I got them at Rocky Mountain for $159
ITracerMike
Supporting Member

Post by ITracerMike »

doakley wrote:"No more MX racing for me though I've already been invited to ride on a local private track."

Who mentioned MX. Lots of good enduros and hare scrambles in your area. Good bike for those.
A neighbor who is an owner in one of the local motorcycle dealerships and also well respected flat track racer, put on a hare scramble at the flat track he runs here a couple weekends ago. I was not able to make it but that is something I could see myself getting into once I get back to being comfortable on a bike. I was surprised at how unsure of myself I felt last Sunday when the front end came off the ground during my engine break in ride. Hopefully with a couple rides with safety gear on and in trails riding will become instinctive to me again.