Newbie from N Cal...

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
SacKDXr

Newbie from N Cal...

Post by SacKDXr »

New to 2 wheels, but not to strokers. I just picked up an original owner 2001 KDX 200. I’ve not been this excited in years. It is bone stock and in excellent condition. Let the improvements and modifications commence.

I noticed the first two gears seem sluggish, but once in third and fourth and in mid rpm range it hits hard. Is this normal? Other than pipe and jetting (maybe RB carb mod), what might be an easy fix to this?
Any other advice is welcomed.

Thanks for the help.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Newbie from N Cal...

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider. :bravo:

Check all the basics from the air filter all the way through to the end of the spark arrestor. There are many things to check. Be sure to check the air filter. A clean carb and check your jetting, reeds OK?, KIPS taken apart and inspected? Popping the side cover only gets one so far...exhaust pipe clogged? Spark arrestor need to be drained out? Compression, worn rings? Piston worn?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Welcome to KDXRIDER! Jason covered all the basic stuff to check first. You should have plenty of power in first and second gear, so something is up with it. IF compression is good and the reeds are in good shape I would probably suspect the KIPS first. They can get jammed up with carbon deposits.
SacKDXr

Newbie from N Cal...

Post by SacKDXr »

Thanks guys. Compression is 145, fresh oil, fresh fuel, and new plug. I am getting a lot of oil sludge out of the tail. The carb is next to clean and rejet. I’ll replace the reeds, but this KIPS thing is new to me. Any thoughts on links or best search phrases to look up here on best way to check and service KIPS?
I suppose a service manual is the next place to start.

Thanks again.
barefootbob

Post by barefootbob »

Welcome SacKDXr
I live in Willits and ride Middle Creek and Cow
Never yield the right of way
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There was a nice thread on here with pics, but Photobucket changed it. If you have the photobucket Fox, maybe you can see them
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SacKDXr

Post by SacKDXr »

barefootbob wrote:Welcome SacKDXr
I live in Willits and ride Middle Creek and Cow

Thanks!

Where’s Middle Creek? And I haven’t been to Cow Mountain in 10 years. Love that place, but I’ve only done it on quads.