Hello from the deep woods....

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Hey whats up everyone. Longtime off roader here. East coast woods, hare scrambles, ds's, and always gnarly trails! Have had sooo many bikes and still have a garage full but am super stoked to have recently picked up a 2002 KDX200. I have wanted one for a looong time and couldnt find one that hadnt been ridden like hell. Until now.The bike is so clean I almost cant believe it. Original rubber at approx 70%, frame paint is barely worn, and all original stuff seems to be in place. The perfect barn find. Gas ran out of the drain tube like crazy but after doing a carb rebuild it started up on the first kick and seems to run pretty well, and not leak. Since I dont know how many hours are on it, Im about to order a top end kit and do a rebuild. I have zero experience with the KIPS and am a little intimidated lol! I did grab a service manual, (pics suck), so Im not completely in the dark about the job, but any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers :supz:
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Hello from the deep woods....

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your purchase of a KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Post up some pix. Also, you'll find a link to the Cyclepedia manual on the home page of this site. Worth the money for the online manual just to get the pix. Especially helpful to me to be able to enlarge the pix on my iPad if needed.
atvman2010

Post by atvman2010 »

The kips really isn't that hard, even for your first time just make sure to follow the manual you'll be fine.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Thanks for the good wishes and encouragement. I took a look at the service manual and can def say it looks doable and actually kind of impressive.

Question: Do you have to split cases to do a crank seal replacement? I would imagine the original is in this bike but so far no real signs of it needing it. Still makes decent power with no excessive spooge, oil etc. :boogie: Thanks!
Last edited by TwistedRoot on 02:45 pm Nov 13 2017, edited 1 time in total.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forums! The KDX is arguably (not by use but other folks who like to argue lol) one of the easiest bikes to maintain and repair. The KIPS is not that bad, especially compared to some other power valve designs (I'm looking at you Suzuki RMX grrrr). As to your question, when it needs it. Trite answer, but it has a lot to do with how well the bike is maintained, how much it is ridden, etc. I have a 2001 that I have never split the cases on. It's only on it's second piston. Gets about 200-300 hours of use a year, still has 145 pis compression, and last leak down I did was 1 psi at 15 minutes last year. Take care of it and you will ride a LOT more than you wrench.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Finding a KDX in this condition was def cool. Heres some pics. Check out the frame wear, the airbox, etc.

Also got my VT street plate last week ;) :razz: :grin: :boogie:
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

VERY NICE! :supz:
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

That's a great find. Looks like it was never ridden.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Dekon wrote:That's a great find. Looks like it was never ridden.
Your prob right. Took a look at the rubber chain guide, it barely has any wear marks from the chain. Im feeling like I may wait a bit on the top end. What do you guys think? I read alot of stuff about the 220’s blowing up so now Im paranoid!
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KDX220R issue is different than the KDX200. It's a 16 year old dirt bike and you will get a wide variety of answers on what maintenance to perform and many will skip a lot and ride it into the ground.

It's your bike and your money. If you want to maintain it well, the first step is to get the OEM manual or Cyclepedia manual (link on top of home page).
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

This is the manual I have:

EDITED BY JASON...

Welcome to kdxrider. We STRONGLY request that you do not involve this site in ANY copyright issues. DO NOT post links for illegally copied manuals on this site. The site has NO interest in being involved or dragged into ANY copyright concerns.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Oops. Sorry J!
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220