New member - Ressurecting my old KDX200 E4!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
ToXic

New member - Ressurecting my old KDX200 E4!

Post by ToXic »

Hello everyone, I have a KDX200 E4 that I bought almost 20 years ago, and have no intention on selling [emoji14]

I have never used it much, but it has been very reliable and I loved it since day 1. It can go some years without running, but it will start soon after some gas, choke and a couple of kicks!
I really wanted to keep it as original as possible and the only upgrade I did was a Rental aluminum handlebar, a better air filter and reed valves. It never lets me down :)
Although it has been carefully "preserved", it has been waiting for my attention on some important items - suspension is too soft (rear shock is working on the spring), carb needs a cleaning, engine needs servicing (let's see what the compression check says), brakes need an overhaul, etc etc. Great thing with this bike, it still looks as good as when I bought it (low usage helps...).

I am counting on the forum member's expertise and also the ocasional "so how's the bike progressing" support to finally restore this bike to its initial (or better) glory! I will try to share my experience with the more technical stuff.

Cheers!
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New member - Ressurecting my old KDX200 E4!

Post by Keystone »

Great looking bike, I love the E-Series. I've replaced two original stock pistons on E-Series and both had chipped, sharp looking edges around the skirt. KIPS valves needs looked at while the top end is off, internal gears are made of aluminum and sometimes shred the teeth. There is no way to check for wear on these teeth before failure without removing the top end. Don't rely on a compression check to identify those common issues. I love the soft suspension on my E-Series but I understand it's not good for fast riding. I can't imagine ever getting rid of mine either!
jaywylie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jaywylie »

Awesome, that is a well-preserved bike you've got!
david

Post by david »

Welcome.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

beautiful! I've got an e4, though it's not nearly as clean or stock as yours. With any luck I'll take it to the vintage enduro track tomorrow and see how it (and I) does.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Nice looking scooter.

If you are riding on spring, you need to give a serious inspection of the shock bore.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ToXic

Post by ToXic »

Keystone wrote:Great looking bike, I love the E-Series. I've replaced two original stock pistons on E-Series and both had chipped, sharp looking edges around the skirt. KIPS valves needs looked at while the top end is off, internal gears are made of aluminum and sometimes shred the teeth. There is no way to check for wear on these teeth before failure without removing the top end. Don't rely on a compression check to identify those common issues. I love the soft suspension on my E-Series but I understand it's not good for fast riding. I can't imagine ever getting rid of mine either!
Hello Keystone, thanks for the heads up on the KIPS. I will surely remove the top end for general inspection, just to make sure all is OK... I have a set of piston rings in stock so they will be changed at least. While I have the top end removed, any other particular items to look out for?

When I said that the suspension is soft, I should have said that the rear is shot! Need to completely overhaul that shock (will follow some of the forum threads).. I also like the original plushiness :)
ToXic

Post by ToXic »

Friedom wrote:beautiful! I've got an e4, though it's not nearly as clean or stock as yours. With any luck I'll take it to the vintage enduro track tomorrow and see how it (and I) does.
Good luck :)
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

ToXic wrote:
Keystone wrote:Great looking bike, I love the E-Series. I've replaced two original stock pistons on E-Series and both had chipped, sharp looking edges around the skirt. KIPS valves needs looked at while the top end is off, internal gears are made of aluminum and sometimes shred the teeth. There is no way to check for wear on these teeth before failure without removing the top end. Don't rely on a compression check to identify those common issues. I love the soft suspension on my E-Series but I understand it's not good for fast riding. I can't imagine ever getting rid of mine either!
Hello Keystone, thanks for the heads up on the KIPS. I will surely remove the top end for general inspection, just to make sure all is OK... I have a set of piston rings in stock so they will be changed at least. While I have the top end removed, any other particular items to look out for?

When I said that the suspension is soft, I should have said that the rear is shot! Need to completely overhaul that shock (will follow some of the forum threads).. I also like the original plushiness :)
There's a member on here selling a complete shock rebuild kit. He ships fast and his price is right. Just got mine, deciding on what shock weight to run and waiting for my other bike to be up before this one goes offline.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I do sell the parts, but the bore is the main thing to check, and it should not be ridden like that.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128