about to be a kdx220r owner

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
sonnyjim

Post by sonnyjim »

Hi folks

I am looking at a 2001 kdx220r bike this weekend, and if the price is right, will buy it.

What should i look out for? I hear that the stock pistons need to be replaced. Should i take the owners word for it that it's been changed, or is there some evidence i should look for? What is obvious evidence of abuse?

One more question, i know the question gets pondered here and there, but i am looking for an interesting dual purpose, which is why i ended on this bike. The owner has it street legal, which is now impossible todo where i live (hasto be manufactured to be street legal), so the only other capable dual purpose bikes out there are the wr250r, xt250, klx250s, crf250l, and the drz400... allthose bikes i feel are either too expensive (wr250r) or not going to be capable off road.

Will the kdx220r be terrible on the highway for short jaunts (20miles or so)? If i ride 20 miles to the trail, will i be out of gas before i get there?
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Hi & welcome to the forum...

Depending on jetting & gearing I'd say you should get between 70 / 90 miles out of a full tank of fuel.
My 220 is street legal & I would say 10 miles is as far as I would like to ride on the main highway 20 miles would just be too torturous.
Drz400 & crf250l would be better for this kind of trip but not as fun as the kdx off road .
Burtono

Re: about to be a kdx220r owner

Post by Burtono »

I would not take the owners word unless he has pictures or receipts. That is just my opinion though. I would check all the bearing and make sure the spokes are tight. One thing I wish I looked at when I bought mine was the (if your sitting on the bike) right side kips cover near the exhaust. I guess the PO took a hard fall on that side broke the cover dinged the inside of the exhaust and bent the actuator governor. One of the teeth on the gear was also chipped so that added an extra $120 dollars and 3 weeks of waiting for me to get my bike ready to ride after I did the top end.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, even 10 miles on pavement would suck IMO, though I know we're going to get treated to a host of Supertard pictures from Thirdgenlxi :roll: :lol: We street register here, but that is only because you have to have a plate to ride the forest service roads, which you have to do to link together trails. The KLX can be made pretty dirt friendly (it's the same tranny as the KLX300R with a larger cylinder, and they make a big bore 340 kit for the 250 IIRC). Its not going to set any land speed records, but would be much more doable as a dual sport than the KDX if you have to spend any more than a few miles on tarmac.
sonnyjim

Post by sonnyjim »

Thanks guys.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

bufftester wrote:Yeah, even 10 miles on pavement would suck IMO, though I know we're going to get treated to a host of Supertard pictures from Thirdgenlxi :roll: :lol: We street register here, but that is only because you have to have a plate to ride the forest service roads, which you have to do to link together trails. The KLX can be made pretty dirt friendly (it's the same tranny as the KLX300R with a larger cylinder, and they make a big bore 340 kit for the 250 IIRC). Its not going to set any land speed records, but would be much more doable as a dual sport than the KDX if you have to spend any more than a few miles on tarmac.
Awww hey now.... :cry: :neutral: :oops: I love my little beast... even on the road. The KDX actually does VERY well on the road.... better than one might think. I could def see where some other 2 strokes might be a lot more twitchy but the KDX, as long as it's jetted right and you gear it a little higher, is super smooth on the road. I've done 250+ mile days on the street with mine, even ventured out into several of the neighboring states, and it's not bad at all. Biggest issue is my ass starts to hurt a little by the end of the day, lol. I have an actual street bike too (04 Honda CBR 600 F4i) and I've been riding the KDX on the street more than the CBR here lately, lol (as far as fun rides go.... not just commuting). I'm going on 13,000 miles on the KDX just since I've had it (a little over 2 years) and never a single problem. I do agree the KLX would be 'easier' as a dual sport, just cuz you don't have to carry oil and a measuring cup with you and have to mix as gas stations. But once you get used to it it's not bad at all and can be done pretty quickly and easily
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That's the key, you just need to commit and do it. I'm too lazy! lol Though since plating mine I have been to the store a few times rather than take out one of my GSX-Rs. But I get nervous because I have no ignition key and don't want to carry a big chain and lock :neutral: And it takes much longer for my ass to hurt on the KDX than it does on the GSX-R (and my back lol)
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

bufftester wrote:That's the key, you just need to commit and do it. I'm too lazy! lol Though since plating mine I have been to the store a few times rather than take out one of my GSX-Rs. But I get nervous because I have no ignition key and don't want to carry a big chain and lock :neutral: And it takes much longer for my ass to hurt on the KDX than it does on the GSX-R (and my back lol)
Ohhh yea def know where you're coming from there, lol. I've put 313,000 miles on my CBR.... according to many, my ass and back should have melted to ashes a loooonnngg time ago, hahah..... IDK it's still hanging in there though.

BTW you can add a key switch fairly easily..... that was one of my worries too. But the BD dual sport kit came with one which I was glad. You can get stand alone ones though. Not much but at least keep somebody from being able to just hop on and start it right up