New rider, KDX reccomendations.

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
spartanskiy

New rider, KDX reccomendations.

Post by spartanskiy »

Hello, I'm 14, and me and my old man both ride KDX 220's. I've got a nice 03, my old man has a rough '97.

I start this topic just as a sort of bucket of things we could do. Right now, my bike has a FMF Pro Circuit, and a Gnarly (we don't know if its a woods or desert pipe, the guy who sold us the bike gave us the stock pipes and 2 FMFs and 2 gnarlys, one was dented so I chose the nicer one.) It has had a top end rebuild, and not long after we bought it (a couple weeks ago) I changed the oil and the sparkplug. But on Mothers Day, I had wrecked and hit pretty hard, I almost got knocked out. I noticed a dirt and oil mixture on my shocks, It's not a lot but a theory my dad had was that when I wrecked, I might have flexed the shocks slightly to cause a little bit of leakage. I'd actually like to get KX shocks to maybe make the bike sit a little higher as I'm almost 6ft, and I weigh almost 200 pounds, same with my dad ('cept he's 6ft or 5'11 or 10, he's 56 so he's shrunk a bit.)

My pap's bike has a Fatty pipe, and the same exhaust/muffler/spark arrester (whatever it is) as I do. He has a stock KDX piston, which I heard are quite...suicidal...he needs a new top end, new reeds, and a new everything really. But it runs really good! It's 20 years old but really it hasn't been ridden hard and that much. He bought it pretty much brand new. Unfortunately...he is old, so he won't be riding with me much longer, but I really want his bike to be in great shape.

So, yes/no/maybe so's on these ideas?

KX shocks, or really anything to make it sit higher for bigger rider like myself
240 cylinder kit? ive heard these do something to the power valve, i dont know.
bigger gas tank? my dads is purple, and unfortunately those are not out there, so right now he's resorted to plastic welding, mine has a small crack but he may need a bigger tank or a new one, any place that might have a purple one?
2003 KDX 220r

1997 KDX 220 (my dad's)

Place I ride: Roberts Track and Trail, Saluda, Virginia.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New rider, KDX reccomendations.

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the KDX's.

Look into a tall seat. Your suspension seals are probably old and leaking.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Welcome. Ditto on the tall seat. I would focus on getting the suspension right first. Not as sexy as power mods, but will have more affect on your riding. Search the section on the fork shim mod. Also if you have stock fork springs they will be way too light for your size. While you are there replace those leaking fork seals. Google kdxposed and follow Jeff Fredette's recommendations. Ever serviced the rear shock? I sent mine to Fredette for overhaul and revalving. Made a huge difference. When you get the forks and shock done, set the sag correctly and go enjoy your new, easier to ride and remarkably faster ride!

Your dad's bike is living on borrowed time if it still has the stock piston. And quit calling him old at 56! He's just getting warmed up!
spartanskiy

Post by spartanskiy »

Any idea on how much a taller seat costs? My bike has been maintained more than my dad's, so most likely it doesn't need much, the previous owners were very nice with keeping it running right. My dad's definitely needs some new stuff like I said.

What would happen if the stock KDX piston breaks? Is the bike totaled? Or just replace the piston, orings , etc.

I asked my dad about the 240 kit and he shut that down right away, so, scratch that off.
2003 KDX 220r

1997 KDX 220 (my dad's)

Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

If the piston breaks, it gouges the cylinder walls and the bits of metal usually pit the head. Those little bits also fall down into the bottom end. I was too nervous that some would remain in there, so I split the cases and went through the whole bottom end (I had this happen to me at the end of last summer). Everything can be repaired. I think without going into the bottom end and replacing stuff in there, I probably have a little more than $200 in cylinder repair, $150 or so for new top end parts, and $120 for a new head. If you just go ahead and replace that piston right now (don't even have to pull the motor from the bike!), you're only in about $150, rather than almost $500. While you're in there, clean out the kips parts really good, here's how to do it: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/657765 ... to-kdx200/

For the 240 kit, you just need to send out your KIPS parts to the machine shop that will be boring the cylinder so they can shave down the power valves to match.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
spartanskiy

Post by spartanskiy »

Tyl3r wrote:If the piston breaks, it gouges the cylinder walls and the bits of metal usually pit the head. Those little bits also fall down into the bottom end. I was too nervous that some would remain in there, so I split the cases and went through the whole bottom end (I had this happen to me at the end of last summer). Everything can be repaired. I think without going into the bottom end and replacing stuff in there, I probably have a little more than $200 in cylinder repair, $150 or so for new top end parts, and $120 for a new head. If you just go ahead and replace that piston right now (don't even have to pull the motor from the bike!), you're only in about $150, rather than almost $500. While you're in there, clean out the kips parts really good, here's how to do it: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/657765 ... to-kdx200/

For the 240 kit, you just need to send out your KIPS parts to the machine shop that will be boring the cylinder so they can shave down the power valves to match.
I'd like to have the 240 kit, but I don't think my dad thinks I need more power after I wrecked before. I Also forgot that the previous owner of my bike said it needed brake pads, any good ones you guys can recommend? I looked at a taller seat and it only raises it by 1 inch. Will this just sink down or stay one inch higher, forever, and are there any taller seats?
2003 KDX 220r

1997 KDX 220 (my dad's)