Hi

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
The Dirt Wizard

Hi

Post by The Dirt Wizard »

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired my first KDX, a 1990 KDX 200. The bike was given to me as a project.

The frame was broken at the lower shock mount and the rider continued to ride it back to camp with the rear suspension collapsed causing the tire to eat through the fender, into the air box and seat. Then the bike was parked for 5 years or so.

I welded up the broken mount on the frame, replaced the fender and seat, cleaned out the old gas, replaced the front master cylinder and caliper (it was robbed for parts while it was sitting), basic tune up, new fluids, and now it's all put together and running great.

The last owner installed a Wiseco piston and FMF fatty pipe so that's a plus. It sounds great. But the pipe is pretty banged up so I might send it out to get straightened.

Overall the cosmetics and plastics aren't too bad but one thing I'm looking to replace is the cracked headlight fairing. After looking around online it seems that finding a factory one for an E series at a reasonable price isn't going to happen. So I was wondering if anyone has made an H series headlight fairing work and how closely it matches up (and how you attached it). Those seem to be more readily available and UFO offers one at a decent price. Or if there are any other similar to stock aftermarket ones out there. All I found were some futuristic looking funky Chinese ones on ebay and I don't want to make it look like the bat mobile. :grin:

Anyway I'm super excited to get this bike out on the trails. I've ridden it around the neighborhood and it is so nimble and easy to ride. I've had several other dirt and street bikes in the past and when you hop on this one it just makes your day.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Hi

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums.

Good job to get that KDX going again.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
mtbfree

Post by mtbfree »

The 1990 Headlight fairing looks pretty similar to the '83 to '88 headlight. Not sure if it would be a direct replacement, but check out this model on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-1988-Kawas ... Sw1ZBUuGMR

That seller (eastcoastvintagemx) makes replica plastics for a lot of older bikes. It might be worth contacting them to see if they have anything that's not listed.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Dang. I looked on eBay. It is slim pickings. I think I would just shop for a new aftermarket one.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

What's the piston look like?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
The Dirt Wizard

Hi

Hi,

The last owner installed the piston so I can't really describe it to you. The compression is good and it runs great.

Still looking for an aftermarket headlight with the fairing if anyone knows of any that are similar looking to the stock part. It looks like UFO had a couple different models that were close but both are discontinued. It seems like everything I'm finding looks like it belongs on a street bike or a space ship lol.
The Dirt Wizard

Hi

Just a follow up. I ended up with a used UFO aftermarket headlight fairing with the rubber straps that go around the forks. It's for the newer H series KDX (near identical to the H series factory light) and the bulb connector is different from my bike. The bulbs are different sizes so they couldn't be swapped. So I installed my original headlight in the new fairing. Just had to drill a hole for the headlight screw and reinforce on the backside with a couple zip ties. Works fine, and no more broken fairing.